How can I discipline my rabbit?!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thegooch69

Reaction score
I currently have a mini lop rabbit, had him for about 2 months. Recently he likes to jump up on my couch and go to the bathroom, luckly just droppings. I've tried everything to get him to stop doing this. I tried stomping my foot and firmly telling him no followed by putting him back in his cage for awhile. I've also tried spraying him with water(which is so cruel, but I'm desprate). Yet he still does it. How can I get him to stop? Why does he feel the need to use my couch as a bathroom? He doesn't go to the bathroom anywhere else in the house, besides his cage.

Thanks in advance.

First off, is he neutered? This can help. He's marking the couch as his by leaving the droppings;). Is he litter box trained? I would at least for now, just make an area for him to play, an area that he can't even get to the couch. That will solve the problem for now.

AngelnSnuffy wrote:
First off, is he neutered? This can help. He's marking the couch as his by leaving the droppings;). Is he litter box trained? I would at least for now, just make an area for him to play, an area that he can't even get to the couch. That will solve the problem for now.

He's neutered. I figured he was marking the couch but he keeps doing it. I figured he would do it once or twice to mark it, and that it's. He's not litter trained but I keep him out for long periods of time and he doesn't poo or pee anywhere(besides pooing on the couch) other than his cage. I'll keep a more watchfull eye on him and take him off the couch when he jumps on it.

thegooch69 wrote:
AngelnSnuffy wrote:

He's neutered. I figured he was marking the couch but he keeps doing it. I figured he would do it once or twice to mark it, and that it's. He's not litter trained but I keep him out for long periods of time and he doesn't poo or pee anywhere(besides pooing on the couch) other than his cage. I'll keep a more watchfull eye on him and take him off the couch when he jumps on it.
Have you considered litter training him? It sounds very good that he doesn't go anywhere when he's out. At least it's just droppings he's leaving on the couch:D.

AngelnSnuffy wrote:
thegooch69 wrote:
AngelnSnuffy wrote:

Have you considered litter training him? It sounds very good that he doesn't go anywhere when he's out. At least it's just droppings he's leaving on the couch:D.
To me he seems litter trained to just go in his cage. What are some ways to train him to only go in his cage and no where else? I pick him up as soon as I notice him pooing and put him in his cage, should I move the droppings to the cage as well instead of throwing them out?

I'd start litter training him, that'd be the best way. Then, if he starts peeing or pooing out of the litter box, you can wipe up the pee with a napkin, place that in the box, and also pick up the poos and put them in the box. I use Yesterday's News for litter, it's paper pelleted litter and it works well for keeping the odor under control and it's safe. We have a subject on litter and litter training in the bunny 101 section, I think it's up and the info is all there, I'll have to go look. Then you read over that and pick a litter you'd like to use. There's also a section on litter training. Let me go see if I can get it for you.

Edited to add: Nope, not functional yet. You could try some rabbit websites to read up on training and litters. Sorry for the inconvenience, we're still working on getting the forum to be fully functional.

I think I have a few other rabbits sites bookmarked that I can look up training for. Thanks and I hope I can get this little problem solved. If anyone else has other advice, I'm all ears!

How old is he? neutering doesn't mean they won't go through a teenage stage, and teenagers bunnies just love to pee on couch and beds. Unfortunately, all you can do is say no as many times as necessary, be very patience and remind yourself that it is a phase and it will pass

If you don't want him to get on your couch, then it has nothing to do with litter training. Say no and get him down every time, he will eventually learn.. rabbits can be very stubborn and with them dominance is always at stake so be very firm and constant, make no exceptions and never let him be in the couch.

If you don't mind him on the couch but don't want him to poo on it, then don't let him get on it until he is litter train.

Latest posts

Back