Housing for young buns?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aushi

Reaction score
Hello! I have two one month old buns. I had plans on making them a bunny condo out of the wire storage cubes they sell, plus wood for extra floors, etc.

But, one of my buns passed away very young in their temporary housing. Her neck broke somehow, and now I'm terrified of making them a condo and them getting hurt.

This is what I had before:
2cr6qmr.jpg

This is the setup I have for them now took out the house in case that's what caused the injury, her getting on top and falling:
213jh21.jpg

While I'm not in the room or too busy, I put a lid on it like this (with something heavy on top) so they don't try to hop off, since it's on a table:
2rcaf0o.jpg

This was supposed to be for like a week or so while I gathered the materials, and I let them out pretty much every single minute I can watch them. The moment they can't be supervised (while I'm showering, cooking, not in the house, etc) they go back in. When they're older (and bigger lol) and they can't get themselves into every single tiny hole in the home, I'll let them out at all times except when I'm not home and asleep.

So what could I get for them to be comfortable for the times I'm not home AND safe? I go to college for like 4-5 hours 4 days a week, so they can't stay in there that long, it isn't comfy :(

Last edited:
If you don't want to use an NIC cube set up, then you could use like an animal/baby play pen. I have that attached to my Moo's cage(a dog kennel) for extra space and i just have a semi heavy blanket on top so he doesn't jump out. I'd say switch the housing as soon as possible though. Buns like to chew on plastic (or most do anyway) so that could be problematic.
Also, for comfort: a small baby or animal fleece blanket for cuddling, a litter box if you want them litter trained, grass mats, cat balls, baby keys, cardboard, just some toys to entertain them.
Hope that helped:)

Oh, and that paper probably isn't too good of an idea to have either cause buns tend to eat paper and if they eat too much it can be bad for them.

Oh a play pen is a wonderful idea thanks!

And yeah I read about the chewing that's why (other than the small size) is one of the reasons I want them into an appropriate space ASAP. I've managed to keep them entertained enough to avoid it, I don't have class this whole week, so they've been free all day and only inside at night. I'll definitely go out tomorrow searching for one! Thanks! I'm so mad I didn't think about that xD Such an easy solution!

how in the world did you get two one month old baby rabbits?! it is illegal to sell rabbits under 8 weeks old. 4 weeks old is way to young to ween baby rabbits. you need to have a talk with who ever you got your buns from.

how in the world did you get two one month old baby rabbits?! it is illegal to sell rabbits under 8 weeks old. 4 weeks old is way to young to ween baby rabbits. you need to have a talk with who ever you got your buns from.

It's not illegal where I'm from :c You can never find any rabbits older than 4 - 6 weeks here, they sell very fast. Finding an adult rabbit is completely impossible since shelter's and such don't exist here. And people don't tend to give theirs out on adoptions. If anyone wants a rabbit here, it'll always be 1 month old or never get one at all. I got it from the petstore and every petstore I did research on all sell them at that age.

Last edited:
The OP is in Puerto Rico, which may be different. While it's not optimal to wean rabbits at 4 weeks, many does actually start weaning their kits this young. At that age, though, diet and stress (like being taken away from Mom or a change in environment) is a major factor in why kits this young die.

A pet exercise pen makes a nice home for rabbits.

pet pen.jpg

A pet exercise pen makes a nice home for rabbits.

That's what the first poster said! At least I think that's what play pen means (English isn't my first language) xD

I'm currently on the hunt for a good and reasonably priced one :) My boyfriend and I are going to go shopping this weekend for one ^_^ I'm dying to get the little ones out of that cramped box! I'm also already saving for the wire storage cubes (NIC?) because when they are older I do want to make them a condo still, but for now while they're young I rather keep them in a flat surface safely on the floor :)

Do you guys know if there's any material of fabric that might be bad for them? My floor is all tile and I don't want them to get their sensitive feet hurt because of being on the tile all the time, so I was thinking of adding towels, blankets and such (like the first poster suggested), so they can have a soft place to rest.

Do you guys know if there's any material of fabric that might be bad for them? My floor is all tile and I don't want them to get their sensitive feet hurt because of being on the tile all the time, so I was thinking of adding towels, blankets and such (like the first poster suggested), so they can have a soft place to rest.

Tile is fine and easy to clean, as long as it's not too slippery for them. Fleece is recommended over towels. If the rabbits chew a towel, the long strings can cause a blockage in their digestive tract.

Honestly, even in our country people and pet store doesn't really care about whether the buns were too young to be sold as long as they could earn money from it.

My husband bought our 2 first bunnies in a local market here, they were barely a month old and eating cabbages already... whether it's meant for food consumption or pets or a school experiments, it's really very hard to tell.

Our dilemma here, with plenty of those people studying medicine courses here buying bunnies as their experiments/lab rats, we could only find 1 savvy vet for them. aside from successful neutering of my bunnies, I still cannot really say that his an expert with bunnies. We still have our doubt on him. Really very thankful for RO, as when we have problems, I could always, always ask what I should expect for treatment concerns and appropriate caring for them.

Tile is fine and easy to clean, as long as it's not too slippery for them. Fleece is recommended over towels. If the rabbits chew a towel, the long strings can cause a blockage in their digestive tract.

Fleece got it ^_^ Thanks! And yeah it isn't too slippery, so I might leave the fleece like to the side for cuddling into instead of covering the whole floor with it.

Hi there, I use a child's play pen. Here are some pics. I have a fleece in one end with a scarf over the top and then hay and food and water at the other. I also have a plastic coated floor so it can be wiped clean.

1398805009467.jpg

1398805026688.jpg

1398805048030.jpg

So here's my set up at the moment. I used those wire grid tiles they sell for shelves and storage and instead of building a cubical style rack I just made it into a cage. Inside I used the rabbits original hutch cage and placed a piece of wood on top to add another level. Even used the same grids to make a hay rack. Its easily understood with pictures. I hope this helps

1400962659610.jpg

1400962686431.jpg

1400962708388.jpg

1400962731446.jpg

1400962745087.jpg

1400962756910.jpg

1400962781533.jpg

That's awesome foxhound!

(https://fbcdn-sphotos-c-a.akamaihd....5_10152523414778885_2932301163900414991_n.jpg)

That's mine for now, it does have a roof but I was getting ready to leave. I haven't added a second level yet because literally just a week ago they stopped fitting in through the holes lol And I had a third one that randomly broke her neck (there wasn't a second floor back then either) so I'm waiting for them to grow a bit more before I add levels cuz I'm scared of another accident ;-;

You might want to also add another layer of the grids. Eventually they will hop out of the area. The size is just right though that's the same that I have mine set up as. I'm sure uu will be adding more to it as well

You might want to also add another layer of the grids. Eventually they will hop out of the area. The size is just right though that's the same that I have mine set up as. I'm sure uu will be adding more to it as well

Well I put a roof over it with the same panels so they don't hop out, the pic doesn't have it because I was using the roof panels for the smaller travel cage I use (staying a week in my boyfriend's house so they definitely come with me!)

https://scontent-a-mia.xx.fbcdn.net...5_10152526837228885_5380093753636678277_n.jpg

Thats what they're in now while I'm in my bf's house :3 Currently in exercise time running around in the hall way lol

That's a good idea!! I usually just take her cage with me. I need to find a litter box just like that one!

Awe they look so cute from a distance you should so put on some better photos of just the 2 of them without the cage lol

Latest posts

Back