Housing for Rabbit

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stormrunner

Reaction score
Hello there. We are building a custom xpen for a new Flemish Giant we are getting.

He is already pretty big at 14 weeks and has already knocked over an X-pen (We do not have him yet). Plus we are converting an old TV stand as a bed area for him. So making it out of wood and weldwire or small (1/4") hardware wire.

The problem we have is because we live on coastal area of Mississippi - the white wood is fir or spruce - sometimes pine, but there is no guarantee which is is. And I know even kiln dried, two of these are very dangerous if the rabbit ever nibbles on it.

We do have Southern Yellow Pine here. Kiln dried - harder wood. I do know Swamp Rabbits and Eastern Cottontails will nibble on these, however they are new world rabbits and not sure a domestic rabbit from old world stock would be okay with it as well.

Poplar is available if necessary, but the pine is much easier to get a hold of.

My question is: If kiln dried is yellow pine alright? I see white pine all the time as fine kiln dried, however I know they are not the same in a lot of respect.

We could use PVC, but making a door into the pen is - problematic. So, wood is best option.

Thank you.

We don't tend to have White pine, it is Southern Yellow Pine. That's why I'm asking. There is no info on the Yellow Pine that I can find.

Latest posts

Back