Housing for a Head Tilt Rabbit

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kate F.

Reaction score
I adopted a second rabbit (Tilly) 5 months ago and she got an ear infection. I’ll spare you all the medical details (my exotic vet was very through). She is no longer sick but has what will probably be a permanent head tilt. She can hop around but will still roll on slippery floors and also just to get around.

This brings me to my housing question. I have another rabbit (Crash) and I adopted Tilly so they could bond and be friends. Crash is free roam in the house but Tilly is set up in an X pen that I have been slowly expanding as she has been learning to navigate. I would love for them to be free roam together but right now she will roll until she hits a wall to brace against. That would be bad in a bigger space.

Does anyone have experience with a head tilt rabbit that is now disabled? Did they learn to navigate okay? How long did it take? Any tips or tricks for their housing? Is your disabled rabbit able to be free roam?

51C05161-31BF-4B94-AAD4-58BC59B8FD2A.jpeg

I do not have a disabled rabbit, but once they are bonded Crash may help her free roam by guiding her around. But, I'm not really sure because I have not been in this situation before.

I've read of people doing massage and physical therapy to help their permanently disabled head tilt buns. Some info in this link.
www.disabledrabbits.com/head-tilt.html

It might also be helpful to go onto FB and look for the 'Help for head tilt hoppers' group. They may have some more specific tips to help your bun.

@JBun my vet showed me how to do the massages and physical therapy which Tilly really likes!

I’ve read through the entire disabled rabbits site and got a lot of help from their bathing section (Tilly can’t groom so we’ve had to help her a bit).

I’ll check out that FaceBook group. Thanks for the suggestion!

Latest posts

Back