Housing differences between UK/USA Rescue/Breeder/Pet set ups|?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Demismith

Reaction score
Hi I'm from the UK and very interested in differences between here and the USA in regards to housing

In the UK rabbits live on solid floors, but there's big differences in cage sizes. It's quite acceptable for breeders to keep small rabbits in 2fx2ft cages, where as most rescues reccomend a minimum of 6x2x2ft cages (with attached run), pet owners seem to range from 3 - 5ft, unless they've been advised by a rescue to go bigger.

In the USA I've seen a lot of small breeder cages, do rescues have a reccomended cage size? And do the reccomend solid or wire floor? And what sizes do pet owners tend to go for?

From what I understand of breeders, most seem it use 2X2ft cages for the smaller breeds. Some may use smaller ones for dwarf breed. Larger cages are generally for larger breed as well as does with litters. Each breeder is different, so may use different sizes. Most use wire cages, but may use solid bottom for does with litters. Runs, pens and exercise really depend on the breed. Some do it more that others and it may be based on the number of rabbits and space they have.

I am not really sure what rescues tend to recommend. The Hours Rabbit Society recommends a cage 4 times the size of your rabbit, but it should be at least 8 sq ft, so that would be like 2X4ft plus a pen to run in. They don't recommend wire floors. This is just one society and not all rescues follow them. As far as I am aware, my local humane society doesn't have specific guidelines. I would think that they would want bigger cages over small ones and solid bottoms.

For pet owners, it really does vary and mostly based on what you can find in a pet store. Unfortunately, there are very small cages (about 1X2ft) available and the biggest seem to be 2X4ft. There are also people use make NIC cages or use x-pens as cages to give more space. Most pet owners seem to go for solid bottoms, but some do use wire as well. For outdoor housing, it also ranges from small hutches to bigger custom made ones to converted sheds.

Thanks, that's very interesting :)

We have the pet issue here, many pet shops stock 2x1 and 3x1ft hutches, I had to use one as an emergency to split two rabbits up but it struggled to even turn round and lay down, if you want a big hutch you have to order online or get someone to make it for you

Latest posts

Back