Housing bunny in walk in closet...?+ questions about a second rabbit

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

odyssey~

Reaction score
Hello!

I was just wondering, would it be okay to house bunnies in a large walk in closet? (Approx 30-40 sq ft) There are no windows but the door would be taken off and replaced with a baby gate so light can shine in from other places of the room. And they would also get free roaming time.
I'm pretty sure it's okay but I was afraid about the lack of sunlight...?

Also, Odyssey's current enclosure is 23 sq ft approximately. Would this be big enough for 2 rabbits if they get 8 hours+ of free roaming/in a larger area? They would be in the enclosure only during the night and when I'm at school. I'm already thinking it's rather small for just Odyssey but I'd like to see what you think. A picture of the enclosure is attached. (It has a top that isn't shown)

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• unnamed.jpg
    unnamed.jpg
    348.2 KB · Views: 16
I used to keep rabbits in a walk in closet. Biggest problem was airflow, we ended up adding a fan that kept air blowing into the closet and constantly moving

I would want more room for a restricted space for two rabbits. At the minimum, you need to expand so a larger litterbox can be put in-- you want a litterbox large enough to hold enough hay for two rabbits and allow both of them to move comfortably in it.

Also, keep in mind if you want another rabbit, you will need to either bond them yourself, or a rescue may be able to do it for you (they would take your rabbit for this time period). If bonding services are not available, you will need to prepare for temporary measures of separate living for the two rabbits, as well as try and identify where some neutral space is that you'd be willing/could use to help facilitate bonding.

You can find information about bonding here: Bonding Archives | BinkyBunny ... and here: Bonding Bunnies

I would want more room for a restricted space for two rabbits. At the minimum, you need to expand so a larger litterbox can be put in-- you want a litterbox large enough to hold enough hay for two rabbits and allow both of them to move comfortably in it.

Also, keep in mind if you want another rabbit, you will need to either bond them yourself, or a rescue may be able to do it for you (they would take your rabbit for this time period). If bonding services are not available, you will need to prepare for temporary measures of separate living for the two rabbits, as well as try and identify where some neutral space is that you'd be willing/could use to help facilitate bonding.

You can find information about bonding here: Bonding Archives | BinkyBunny ... and here: Bonding Bunnies
Yea, I know that, I'd change it up to suit two rabbits better. The whole petstore cage would probably be a litterbox. I doubt I'd do it though since I already think this is too small for just Odyssey.
Yup, I know! I've bonded buns before so I'm good to go :)
Thank you!
I used to keep rabbits in a walk in closet. Biggest problem was airflow, we ended up adding a fan that kept air blowing into the closet and constantly moving
Oh okay, thank you!

I see you have a second floor on her current pen and I think if you kept that (which I’m guessing you are?) it’d be plenty of room especially if they get some free roam time each day. I also think that size is good for two buns. Also make sure the baby gate has really small holes so they can’t squeeze thru 😂

I see you have a second floor on her current pen and I think if you kept that (which I’m guessing you are?) it’d be plenty of room especially if they get some free roam time each day. I also think that size is good for two buns. Also make sure the baby gate has really small holes so they can’t squeeze thru 😂
If I decide on the pen I'm most likely going to be expanding it to at least a foot longer and a foot wider as I do think it's rather small and levels don't really count as floorspace IMO.
Yup, we currently use the baby gate for Odyssey and she's an escape artist but it's been good. Thank you!

Latest posts

Back