Housing bunnies outdoor- how do I know when it's too cold for them?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DashinBunnies

Reaction score
Hello everyone!

I have 2 bunnies currently housed outdoor (partner is allergic to their fur so I can't bring them in). They are under roof/shelter (on a balcony/verandah)- rain doesn't get to them but sometimes strong wind do. They have a hutch, hideouts, fleece and carpets in their secured play pen. Currently at night it gets to about 45 F/7 c but I don't see them going into the hutch or hideouts at all and I'm worried if the wind/temperature is too cold for them? Are they out because they are not cold? Are bunnies smart enough to know to go into the hutch when they are cold?

What other methods can I keep them warm or protect them from the wind?

Thanks guys!!

They are smart enough to go into the hutch if they will feel cold and try to find a place to protect themself but sometimes you will have to close them in. Myself often don't let the outdoor bunnies out when it's snowing wet snow. Because it's like rain and will truly cold down the bunnies if they still want to sit out in cold weather.

Myself just let my bunnies do what ever they want when I let them have access to the run, they have places protected from wind and rain, if it really raining they often stay in the hutch even though they can hop around in the run.

I kept rabbits outdoors for years and they always did fine in the cold as long as they stayed dry. My home at the time had a large covered patio so the buns would live there during the winter to keep from getting wet. My mom got worried if the temperature dropped below 15F, so sometimes we would bring them inside and set them up in a bathroom overnight, but everything I've read says that they can survive in temperatures much colder than that.

There were also a few times that one of our buns would sit in an area of the run that got snowy if the wind blew the right way. Of all the places she could choose to sit, it had to be there! So whenever that happened, we'd bring her in and towel her off, then let her stay inside til she dried out.

Latest posts

Back