Housing and care for a giant bunny

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MuffinNibblesmollyXOXO

Reaction score
Hi I just thought I come on here before I buy my new bunny ...

I already have 2 lionhead rabbit's that I love to death and am thinking of adopting a french lop rabbit very soon already have someone waiting on an answer if I'm going to take there bunny ...

I know french lops are a giant breed and i just wanted to know if anyone can help me with information on caring for them I know there's not much difference than a small bunny everything is just jumbo sized lol .. I wanted to know what the cage recommendations are to house a french lop with two lionhead bunnies .

my room is pretty big so during the day they have access to run around the room the cage is always open and then at night they sleep in there cage cuz my dog sleeps in my room but now that I'm getting a big rabbit I probably need a bigger cage .. right now I house my rabbits in a 3X5 nic cage ... also I wanted to know how much pellets should they get and how much veggies do they get and also how big exactly do french lops get .. sorry for all the questions
Thanxs in advance x

What I do with my rabbits is I give them hay, a little fresh veggies every day, and unlimited pellets, Rabbits are not known for eating much more than they really need, so just give him/her a bowl of rabbit pellets and fill it up when it gets empty. However if they are eating too much and becoming overweight it is recommended that you feed is 1/4 a cup for every 6 pounds everyday. Make sure that in his/her cage there is enough room for food,water, litter box, and for the rabbit to be able to stretch out on his/her belly and be comfortable. Other than that take the rabbits out to play lots and have fun!

I got my French lop at 6 mos of age. He ate about 8-10 Oz of pellets twice a day and got some veggies. He weighed out at 11lbs but was on the smaller side. My Frenchie was in a 2x6 nic cage by himself with running time as well.

Basically with a french lop everything is super-sized and that definitely includes the pee and poo.

I definitely do not suggest unlimited pellets! Every rabbit I've ever known will over eat the pellets and even neglect their hay and veggies for them. French Lops are supposed to be at least 10 pounds, but there isn't really a maximum weight for them. I've heard a good cage size for a single French is 3 feet by 6 feet. I'm not certain, but you may not want to house your Lions and a French together, as the size difference makes the French pretty dangerous should she/he get aggresive with the little ones, but maybe someone with more experience will chime in on the matter. I'm in love with the French Lop breed myself and hope everything works out for you!

I will be getting the french lop next weekend .. he's only 10 weeks old now and he will have access to my room during the day and in his cage at night I don't know how the other rabbits will be towards him i was going to start binding when he is very young and hasn't reached his full size yet I won't be house them together but when there out during the day they can play together while I'm supervising them my room is huge so plenty of space for all 3

Oh, he's cool!. I like Leonidas, but I did just finish watching "300" with my husband. HA!

Last edited:
I honestly can wait any longer lol ... I'm getting a white french lop instead ill attach some photos .. The white rabbit is a little older but is very sweet and quite and would suite me more and the other buns more than the lilac one in the other photo but the wait is driving me crazy im so excited .. getting him Sunday

View attachment 1436651102758.jpg

View attachment 1436651117432.jpg

French lops are so rare to find where I live and when u see them u never know when you'll see them again and i have such a love for them so I couldn't resist ♡ ... idk what ill call him benny suited the other one don't know if it suites this one.. I'll probably now when I see him but any suggestions would be great x

Unlimited pellets should only be fed 7 months or younger. This will help them grow because that is their growing stage but I do not give my bun unlimited pellets because he might not eat the hay which is what they really need. So I give mine around 4 tablespoons of pellets every morning and in the evening I give him a handful of a variety of veggies (no more than 3 or it could make your bun a bit sick, in my opinion that is) and my bun loves it and would chew through the cage bars just to eat it. Rabbits need a lot of exercise some people say minimum 3 hours some say 4 hours but personally I say between 2-3 hours of playtime they need everyday. If you cannot provide that then a rabbit isn't for you. I have a video about getting a rabbit, this applies to adding a rabbit to your rabbit family household which means more needs for those rabbits.

Here is the link: https://youtu.be/QWwtahfegjg

Latest posts

Back