House Time

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
We think Lily is ready for the next step... We think she's ready to move around th house.Do we don't really know how to do it. Do we give her free rain over the whole house?

Should she get to stay out all night and day? Do you guys let your buns run around 24/7?

Should I have a litter box in every room? Isn't that annoying?

Any good bunny proofing tips you can give us, or anything you've learned?

I personally let mine run until as long as they want. The door is open to their cage so they can go in and eat, drink, potty at their leisure. If your rabbit is truely potty trained, there wont be a need to have extra litter boxes.

As far as 24/7, I don't because I just don't trust them to not get into trouble when we are asleep or gone. They "go to bed" in the cage.

Bunnyproofing: Cords! They love to chew cords so make sure they are all hidden or out of reach.

Mine are let out after dinner and put up before I go to bed. In other words, when they can be supervised (2 to 4 hours pernight).

I've found that after they run around for an hour or so, mine seem to want to go back in their cages. I guess they feel most comfortable there. They love their run time though, and if I have to skip a night, they are very obviously upset about it.

That's what we do with our girls, too. Except when it was just two girls, we could split it up and give Maisie the first slot of time (since hers was shorter), and then Flower would be out until we were ready to go to bed (and we had to do everything except push her white booty back into her cage, haha!).

Now that there are three girls, I think I'll do pretty much the same thing, except do Maisie's turn, and then alternate between Flower and Trixie. Like Flower one night, Trix the next. I was even thinking of keeping a log near their cages to be sure I had whose night it was correctly. (I'm big on making lists, hehe!)

Anyway, that's what I do/will be doing. I've recently decided to give them more room, too. I used to have NIC panels making a round pen, but have expanded it to just block off the two sections of room it isn't safe for them to go in. So now they basically have the whole livingroom (including the couch...we'll see how that goes, hehe). :D

Snuggys Mom wrote:
Mine are let out after dinner and put up before I go to bed. In other words, when they can be supervised (2 to 4 hours pernight).

I've found that after they run around for an hour or so, mine seem to want to go back in their cages. I guess they feel most comfortable there. They love their run time though, and if I have to skip a night, they are very obviously upset about it.

Mine do not stay in a cage at all, but they have a room that I close them into when we are not home.

My two bunshave2 litters around the house (one on the main floor and one on the upper floor).

We gave them full run to the house a little bit at a time. We gave them access to a full room until they figured where the litter was and kept using it. Then we let them out into another room until they started running back into the 1st room to the litter and slowly we have worked our way up to the whole house. But we didn't let them just have free run all at once.

Edit: Mine have 24/7 free run of the spare room, our bedroom and the hallway, but I do not trust them in any other rooms of the house alonesince they like to taste test all our furniture and Charlie loves the taste of fabric....

:X

Mine are only in the living room. mostly because they don't like the lenolium of the litchen. I have an NIC barrier to section off the area they arent allowned to go. They are allowed free run when I am around to supervise.

i let Caramel have a free run in the conservatory only cos its not decorated just yet, unfortunately she doesnt come out much but i might start getting her out every other night for a couple of hours, but on the weekends she has run of conservatory, kitchen nd lounge need to watch her with the cat though cos if molly (cat) is eating Caramel likes to annoy her and sniffs her food but molly doesnt like it and swipes for her but other than that molly stays on the windowsill or goes out she isnt quite sure about caramel just yet, so i would suggest let her have the run of one room then move on, i havent been able to toilet train Caramel yet havent had much time and dont really know whats best to use

Nibbles has a decent-sized NIC condo with ex-pen attached (not in a square or rectangular setup - I can't explain it easily, but it has both a front and side yard). This is all in the LR, which is where I spend most of my time when home. She gets several hours' free run time in the LR per day - and about half of that is spent in "her" area. She seems very much at home in both parts of the LR.

I don't allow her any unsupervised free run time - or free run of any areas of the house - because she's got a nose for trouble and I don't want to take the chance of her getting hurt. The LR is big, and she seems pretty happy with it, though every now and then I do take her into other rooms or the upstairs hall, so she can get a change of scenery.

Unless you have no carpet or fabric in your house i dont think its safe for bunnys too run around the whole house unsupervised.ingestion of carpet is very dangerous as it can cause intestional blockage.my bunnies are in the cage unless supervised.its for there safety.bluebird

Mine are only let out when they are supervised, usually about two hours per pair of buns (I have two separate bonded pairs). My rabbits love causing trouble and I don't think I could ever trust any of them to be left unsupervised with access to carpet, furniture, wood molding, etc. And like Bluebird said, carpet can cause dangerous intestinal blockages when it's eaten.

mine are both outside buns so they get free run of a large pen 24/7 in the summer and all day in the winter and are locked away in hutch/run combos at night!

i can understand not letting bunnies run where there is carpet or fabric without supervison but what do you have on your floors if not carpet?

i guess you have tiles/wooden flooring or lino but how do the buns run around on it? my two hate the kitchen floor for that reason or maybe that is because i always do scary things to them (in their view) in the kitchen!

My girls are outdoor bunnies, but they always spend the whole day Sunday in the house.:) They mainly stay in the kitchen or my room but they could go anywhere they wanted.

They sometimes stay on the landing too, it's carpeted and warmer I guess (it's the only part of the house that is carpeted, I have yet to see them try to eat it, but I wouldn't leave them there unsupervised) they like to do DBFs on the landing!:D

They also usually get a few evenings a week inside, from when I get home from school at 4.30 , until 7 or 8.

Loki get's about 4-5 hours every night. It's usually when I'm doing my homework or watching tv. He gets free run of the living room and bathroom (where his litterbox is). He isn't allowed in any of the rooms. They can't easily be bunny proofed. The living room and bathroom are big enough for him. He usually likes to flop out on the couch or in a highly trafficked area. :disgust:

t and loki

I let Gretchen run around every night when I get home from work for a few hours. I block off other doors so I can watch her. She has "tasted" a bit of out furniture. So she has to be supervised.

She is happy though and has a bunch of fun!

I would love to have her out all the time. If I can trust her someday I will.

I try to give both my girls at least an hour each night after I get home from work. They're both cagebodies so they don't get terribly upset if Play Time gets interrupted so long as they get their evening Craisins...hehe.

Blyre

Cocoa gets let out of his cage a few times a week for a couple of hours at a time. I would like it to be longer, but I have to supervise him or he will chew up the carpet. Plus he is let out in my bedroom, and I have to move things around and block off areas before he comes out.

They do have those cord covers you can buy to protect them so the bunnies won't chew them up. I have seen them online and plan on buying some soon.

http://www.bunnyluv.com<WBR>/wirewrap.html

*waves* New member, here.

Kit really needs to be let out every night because he&#39;s a wild hare and he gets antsy if he doesn&#39;t get free range time. I usually let him out for at least 3 hours. He mostly spends those 3 hours under my bed, but hey, whatever keeps him happy.

Bonnie is a different matter. I don&#39;t let her out that often because she&#39;s apparently in love with her cage and doesn&#39;t like to leave it. She&#39;ll normally come out to pester Kit for a bit, then goes back to lie in her cage when he starts ignoring her attempts to get to him through the bars of his cage. On hot days, I let Bonnie out for most of the day so she can lie on the cool tiles. She&#39;s pretty reliable out of the cage because out of the cage for her means within easy access of the cage.

Kit is reliable most of the time, but there&#39;s no way I&#39;m trusting him. Just when I get complacent, he chews through another phone charger, pair of headphones, expensive item of lacey clothing or just makes some headway on the carpet.

Figure this one...I have 7 rabbits. Only one pair is bonded...yea its fun giving them run time.

I am up at 7am. The minute I get up one comes out. Now Ringo, Elvis, and Samantha are easy to catch. So they are let out when a.) we know we have to be leaving b.)last ones at night c.)I am sick.

I would say they get 2 and a half hours each.

Katrina usually gets an hour with me and 30 minutes to an hour with my mom. I will start putting her out longer in the summer when my busy schedule settles down. Right now I go to school at 9:30 till 11:30 and go to work right after at 12:00-9:30 at night. I don&#39;t have a lot of time for anything else. On Wednesdays andSundays (days when I finish school early and don&#39;t have to work or work early &#39;cause it&#39;s Sunday) she gets longer as well as whatever other day I get off of work.

Oh and Katrina only gets to usemy room because a) myroom is the only part of the house that is rabbit proofed and b) we have a dog that has been in the house for 8 years before Katrina so I don&#39;t want her to be attacked by the dog (they are slowly getting a little bit of time together to see what will happen)

Latest posts

Back