House cleaning after infectious disease

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thumperina

Reaction score
We don't know what kind of infection my bunny had, something in his guts.
I have no more bunnies left so there is no threat to infect a rabbit. However, I have a flock of parrots that live on the different level in the house. But we walk here and there barefoot
Any tips on cleaning/ disinfecting the area where he was ? There is a non-removable carpet there, he had diarrhea some time ago, and he didn't use his litterbox much when he was sick. We can't replace the carpet.
Any tips would be useful! thanks

So sorry to hear about infection. :( I've worked in cat rescue for years, and we've had situations where ring worm went around in a facility that housed over a 100 cats. :mad: Being consistent and diligent in wiping everything down (and of course quarantine) we were able to get control of it.

Best I can think of for the carpet is a good steam clean. That should do the trick. Also you can do a simple mixture of a scented bleach and water to spray and wipe down all surfaces like floors, stairs and other things to sterilize ALL hard surfaces, including toys, bowls, scoops, etc. Wash and wash again all bedding or things your bun might have came in contact with too. Our washer has a sanitary cycle that we use a lot and it washes for like two hours in hot water, but if you don't have that, wash twice in hot water. Good luck!

I don't think there is much birds could catch from rabbits. Even cocci are imho very different strains.

I don't think there is much birds could catch from rabbits. Even cocci are imho very different strains.
I hope you re right. This is what my vet looked up when I was there. Rabbit Coccidia, the book said, is highly host specific but we don't know if it was it.

So sorry to hear about infection. :( I've worked in cat rescue for years, and we've had situations where ring worm went around in a facility that housed over a 100 cats. :mad: Being consistent and diligent in wiping everything down (and of course quarantine) we were able to get control of it.

Best I can think of for the carpet is a good steam clean. That should do the trick. Also you can do a simple mixture of a scented bleach and water to spray and wipe down all surfaces like floors, stairs and other things to sterilize ALL hard surfaces, including toys, bowls, scoops, etc. Wash and wash again all bedding or things your bun might have came in contact with too. Our washer has a sanitary cycle that we use a lot and it washes for like two hours in hot water, but if you don't have that, wash twice in hot water. Good luck!
thank you! no my washer doesn't have that cycle. I will try your technique

Anything that humans should be concerned about (catching anything from a sick rabbit)?

Pretty much, no.
As a meat breeder I've read about that topic somewhat after I lost 90% of my herd to Myxo when I started. The only thing I ever heard of is being allergic to rabbits, but that's a different book.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back