House Bunny moving outdoors

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Coal&Holly21

Reaction score
Hello,
I have 2 lovely house buns called Coal & Holly and we have all recently moved house. In my previous house they had half of the living room and when it was a nice day I would open the patio doors for them to run free in the garden. Since we have moved house the most convenient place for them to have enough space was our rear conservatory. They are both very happy but don't get to go outside as much any more as the secure part of the garden is not by the back door so I have to pick them up and take them to it and they are not a massive fan of being picked up.
Me and my partner are going to be getting 2 dogs and I want my bunnies to be safe and relaxed still.
Due to this I am thinking about converting my shed in to a house for them and attaching a home made run along side of it to go in the garden and then they way they wont be disturbed by the dogs unless the dogs go out in the garden and then the rabbits can be in there house.
I am feeling very cautious about this as I don't like the idea of my little babies being outside in all the different temperatures/weathers and with the wildlife as such.
Like should I have doors to stop them going outside in the run at night time?
have you got any advice on how to keep them warmer in the winter and cooler in the summer? just concerned as they have always been inside I don't want them getting ill or cold.
I mean if I'm honest I was going to move them upstairs and give up my spare bedroom but my partner said no to this and wants them outside which he has done ever since I have had them but point blank refused to do it.
And also if I do go through with this do I need to slowly warm them up to this being there new home or just put them in there and that is that?
Sorry for all the questions.

Moving indoor rabbits outdoors after their first winter, isn’t usually recommended. If your converting your shed to a home I suggest putting an area heater in there in the winter since they aren’t used to cold temperatures. In the summer just put in a normal fan in and keep the doors closed as much as possible so they don’t overheat. Wildlife is a danger, is your yard fenced in? If not make their new living space extra safe and hard to get to/in. The buns running in your garden in a run is great idea! Just make it very secure and hard for them to escape from.

You're in the UK right? Converting a garden shed in the UK, is a fairly common way to house rabbits there. The most important aspects are making sure your bun isn't confined in the shed in hot summer temps and has a shaded cool part in the run when it's hot, and making sure the run is predator proof, particularly against foxes. Take a look at this link for some ideas.

https://rabbitwelfare.co.uk/rabbit-care-advice/rabbit-housing/convert-a-garden-shed/
The main concerns with a transition from indoors to out, are putting them out before temps start to cool so they have time to grow a thicker winter coat. Or if they are nervous being outdoors, making the transition gradually so they get used to it and don't go into stasis from nervousness and the sudden change. Though your rabbits are used to being outside, so I doubt they would be nervous with the change.

If you aren't sure or may decide to continue to keep them in the conservatory, a better way to move rabbits that dislike being picked up(which is most rabbits), is using a pet carrier to move them from one spot to another. That way you could more easily move them outdoors without having to pick them up.

Latest posts

Back