House bunny chewing walls! Help!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SenoraNintendo

Reaction score
I just moved into a brand new home almost a month ago, bringing my now 11 week old Rex with me.
Her cage is small and until we build her a C&C cage, we let her roam around the house after we rabbit proof it.
She started to chew on the corner of my living room wall and my boyfriends brothers room, which of course I clapped to scare her away from it and let her know she was being bad. Well, the other day she went back to chewing the wall in the living room and she ripped it too!

How can I get her to stop doing this?

Fool proof answer? Block her access to it. You can cover the corner in cardboard or buy wall corner protecters at home depot or Lowe's.

Most of the time bunnies just learn not to do bad things when your there and will sneak it if you're gone.

watch her closely, limit access when you cant and you can always buy plexiglass sheets to attach to any walla in the room she is in and then there's no way she can chew them.

Yup, I would block it off. I agree that bunnies will learn not to do something while you're in the room but will go for it as soon as you leave--Honey will be laying nicely somewhere, I leave the room for ten seconds, and when I come back he's over at the bookcase looking at me as if to say "I wasn't chewing on your books!" :rollseyes I quickly learned just to block the bookcases off because it wasn't worth the fight. Pick and choose your battles, lol.

Oh, I've learned that they'll do things when you're not around. One time I was planning to let my bunny out, but I had to use the bathroom real quick and within the minute I was gone, she found a way out of her cage! They're smart little animals.
But I will definitely try the thing at lowes for the corners of the wall.

Yes, block it off. That is the quickest and most effective thing to do. Be on the look out for new chew areas though.

Also natural chew toys like pine cones, corn cobs, roots, branches, fresh and dried leaves might help if the rabbit simply wants to chew something.

Rabbits also chew like this when frustrated or PO'd. The only time that the lads will chew like that is if they ask to go outside and the answer is no. After being told to stop, perhaps being pushed away, they can usually be bribed /and or distracted with banana though.

I have NIC pannels lining the walls, I just have them one high to protect the baseboards in particular. I agree that placing apple twigs where they want to chew really helps because it gives them a positive outlet for the urge.

I have chew toys all over the house and as far as I can tell, with discouraging the bad chewing and encouraging the good chewing it is working out to no damage to the house or furniture.

Latest posts

Back