Hot weather question

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My little Libby isnt acting herself. Shes 8-9 week old holland lop. Usually she's full of herself. But its been super hot here the last couple days. My girls are in the house in a huge cage but we dont have AC. I think its comfy inside and my other 2 seem normal. But little Libby is extra "blah" yesterday n today. I havent seen any loose stools. Nothing has changed in our routine other than this heat. Will the heat make them act out of the norm? Can i put a fan on them without freaking them out?

I think fans are okay--I've seen some people drape the fan with a towel or light sheet that's been soaked in water. Just make sure the fan is pointing in a direction that the bunnies can get away from it if they want to.

You can also freeze a bottle of water and slip it into a sock. They can lie next to it to cool down.

Use a spray bottle to mist their ears.

Add some ice chips to their drinking water to make it nice and cool for them.

Hope that helps :)

I have a "summer cabanna" for my buns (in the house). I put down a couple tiles that stay cool longer than carpeting, a 1 pannel NIC wall on three sides with top, then a blanket over the top. It gives them more sense of security plus then a second level. I point the fan going through the cabanna. Houdini (english angora) in particular loves to lay there all year round. They can get out of the breeze if they want to.

Ive been freezing water bottles and stuffing socks for my buns. Summer in Miami is no joke! We have wall units that I hate with a passion, they cost a lot of money to keep them on all day. We set a timer for them to kick on around 11am... i also have my ceiling fan on all day every day!

Im thinking the outside bunnies (my boys) i may bring in and put them in the basement for the rest of the summer. That way they dont boil in this humidity. But maybe i will try the water bottle trick first. I dont have much room in my basement and its very dark/secluded. I wouldnt want to put them down there away from all stimuli. The DH is moving them to an area in the yard thats shaded 24/7 today. Maybe that will be enough with frozen water bottles. Plus my property always has a nice breeze. The little girls we will put frozen water bottles and a fan on them. That should work. Thanks for the help everyone!

I'm in the same boat :( But my guy really likes the frozen water bottles. He also loves make a game of throwing them off of his top shelf and hear the giant crash of ice when it falls. :p I put it up and he just keeps pushing it off.

I also read online to give frozen bananas (in moderation of course.) I had some in the freezer for banana bread so I gave him 2 slices of that and he loved it! I read it's like rabbit ice cream :)

Latest posts

Back