Hot weather and uncompromising parents

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rosy

Reaction score
Hey everyone! Where I live, its about 93 F (33.89 C) with a real feel of 106 F (41 C) and will be like this for the next few days. My parents insist on keeping my buns outside. They were away for the last couple of days so obviously I brought the poor guys inside ( one free-roamed in my room while the others were in the basement.). They were so happy to be indoors, chilling by the air conditioner and flopping all over the place. My parents have returned and promptly put them back outside. I am devastated even though I kinda knew that was going to happen. I tried reasoning with them, telling them that it is way too hot, but they called the local pet shop, who said that they can live outside, with constant cold water access. I need some advice please on how to proceed! Please let me know what you think and what i can do. Thanks!

If your photo shows your rabbit, know that lop eared rabbits are more susceptible to heatstroke since rabbits lose heat through their ears.

Pet stores are often terrible sources for pet advice.o_O They are there to sell supplies and are not vets. Perhaps you could just ask your parents if they would do an online search "how hot is too hot for pet rabbits." If they are willing to check this for themselves (I hope they would since they seemed willing to call a pet shop) then perhaps that will help.

In the meantime, you can check some options for trying to keep them cool (frozen bottles to snuggle beside, etc).

yes one of my rabbits is a lop.
yes im aware that a pet store is not a good source but thats who they believe :( . i will ask them to do an online search and well see how it goes.
they do have frozen water bottles but they dont seem to like them...
thanks @Blue eyes for responding! i will keep you updated.

Until you can convince your parents to bring them inside (or into the garage if it's cooler and a compromise can be reached), I've found a few things my hoppers like for keeping cool (I don't have air conditioning, and while the downstairs where they currently live stays a little cooler, it can still get stuffy.

-Make sure they are in the shade and the cooling items offered are in the shade
-mine like tiles, they stay cooler and can be picked up at a Lowes or etc.
-always offer cool water, I'll even add ice to the water to maintain lower temp longer
- keep the outside of the ears damp, with cool water (I've heard alcohol works even better, but I've never done it and am not willing to recommend it here)
- keep a fan on for them

Sometimes outdoor is colder than indoors at my place, but I placed my bunnies outdoor cage in a spot that have shadow most of the day and keep their ears damp.

My outdoor bunnies will dig burrow/ hole and lay in it when it becomes warm. They use the damp dirt as a cooling spot.

You can always put a bit berries in the water that you have frozen and soak the veggies, during hot days it’s important they get water. You can also freeze bottles with water and place it in the cage, the bunnies will lay next to the frozen bottle to cold down. Make sure to have a few frozen water bottles in the freezer during hot days and change them during the day. The frozen bottles work wonders and it will also be like an Ac around it’s area. If the bottle is placed up on a metal or a tile, the bottle will work as a conduct and cool down the tile or metal plate. It can become a comfortable place to rest on.

But you can also see if you can ask your parents during really hot days, that your bunnies can spend time in an area indoors to help cooling them down. Specially during the warmest time of the day.

I know my parents first only allowed my bunny to live in the bathroom and later my bedroom but I could later expand their area. So you can always see if you can meet in the middle with your parents.

Off topic: I had a bunny that during really warm days would bath then sunbath to get dry and later sleep comfortable in the hole he dug. Downside with that routine was the whole lawn having small holes all over and him escaping to jump into the creak and coming back home soaking wet 😅 I miss that silly boy, he liked playing with water during warm days (he had black fur, so he dried up fast).

update: after some lengthy explanations, my parents have allowed Timmy, my lop, to be brought inside (in the basement). They say that this will be temporary, and that theyre only allowing this in extreme temperatures. Im trying to convince them to allow him to stay indoors. Im afraid my parents are a bit misguided as i know that rabbits do better in the cold rather than in the heat. My bunnies were inside all winter, and then when it came to summertime, boom, they put them all outside(without my consent obviously). im still trying to convince my parents to allow me to bring the (2) others in as well. For now, they are in the shade and always have an ice/cold water bottle and ice water. I am going to get some tiles today for them. What kind of tile is best to use? im assuming ceramic? Thank you guys for all your help!! I really appreciate it!!

Little progress is still progress!

Any tile will do. If you are looking at samples in the store, place your hand on some to see if any seem to be cooler than others. I'd pick up a few tiles. That way you can put a tile in the refrig to cool it down and rotate it out with a 2nd tile.

Frozen water bottles, cold tiles, brushing your bunnies to make sure their coat isn't overpacked... I like the idea about fruit and ice in the water!

Latest posts

Back