Hot peppers...

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey, a couple hours ago I ordered Vietnamese food for delivery. Usually when I get pho they send too much extra basil, bean sprouts, and hot pepper, so I unthinkingly gave the left overs to Dortmund who gobbled it all down.

I know that Dortmund loves green and red bell peppers, so I thought maybe he digests peppers differently, but a couple seconds ago out of curiosity I did a search on Rabbits and Jalapenos and the interweb just told me to never feed hot peppers to a rabbit and if a rabbit eats hot peppers it could badly hurt him.

So Dormund ate two small slices of hot pepper (raw jalapeño I think) about 3 hours ago. He is hopping around and seems fine, but should I take him to the vet?

That’s a tough one to say, I would call your vet and see what they think you should do, or monitor his behavior for any minor changes, loss of appetite, standing still for a long period of time, laying on his side for a while, or being more aggressive.

They aren't toxic, but there is a chance they could possibly upset your rabbits digestion. Really the only thing for that is closely monitor eating and drinking for the next 24 hours, and if a problem arises get your bun to the vet. It's what I would do anyways.

Yeah, he is extremely unhappy with me right now. Normally his favorite time of the day is when I feed him. This morning he treated me like I was a terrifying demon who loves to torment small furry creatures and ran as quickly as he could to get away from me as I cleaned his litter box.

Gave him extra green pepper to make him happy and he's been loudly scrunching away at it for the last half hour.

Yeah, he is extremely unhappy with me right now. Normally his favorite time of the day is when I feed him. This morning he treated me like I was a terrifying demon who loves to torment small furry creatures and ran as quickly as he could to get away from me as I cleaned his litter box.

Gave him extra green pepper to make him happy and he's been loudly scrunching away at it for the last half hour.
Hope he's okay!
My bun once ate cheese , cause my brother was keeping an eye on her , while he was eating , and she took a bite!
Tell us if anything changes !

Latest posts

Back