Horrific rabbit death

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thank you for all your kind comments and support. The police have been in contact and the case will take place at a later date now due to coronavirus, I am not dropping this. Ronnie deserves for us to fight for him and the other witnessed this I'm sure it distressed them as my others are his parents, siblings and his partner. I actually know the lad who owns the dog he is a parent of a child at my sons school. He said on the day his gf messaged while he was at work to say dog had escaped he asked her to go look to which she replied CBA! Turns out after police interviewed him that he wasn't at work he was at home in his garden when she escaped so he lied more than once. I will keep you updated

Best of luck to you in your fight to get justice for Ronnie. Binky free, little Ronnie - hopefully your death will be the last one caused by these uncaring dog owners.

Thank you for all your kind comments and support. The police have been in contact and the case will take place at a later date now due to coronavirus, I am not dropping this. Ronnie deserves for us to fight for him and the other witnessed this I'm sure it distressed them as my others are his parents, siblings and his partner. I actually know the lad who owns the dog he is a parent of a child at my sons school. He said on the day his gf messaged while he was at work to say dog had escaped he asked her to go look to which she replied CBA! Turns out after police interviewed him that he wasn't at work he was at home in his garden when she escaped so he lied more than once. I will keep you updated
Reading your story was heartbreaking. I hope you get the justice that Ronnie deserves. I'm sorry but if I was in your situation, I would be wrecking havoc on the owner. Although it's not the dog's fault as he was acting on instinct, the owner has shown nothing but negligence on his end and does not deserve to own animals, period.

Don,t agree about the instinct part--dogs can be trained if they have a responsible owner--they also don't escape if they have a responsible. I had a Doberman that would not go past the garage opening, ever unless called to. None of my dogs bother our birds or bunnies, how they've been raised and the smallest dog we've had was 60 pounds (28 kilos) and the 2 we have are really huge--178 and 208 pounds. Had a dog come after me while I was jogging--I didn't end it, but I made sure the owner was fined and cited.

Don,t agree about the instinct part--dogs can be trained if they have a responsible owner--they also don't escape if they have a responsible. I had a Doberman that would not go past the garage opening, ever unless called to. None of my dogs bother our birds or bunnies, how they've been raised and the smallest dog we've had was 60 pounds (28 kilos) and the 2 we have are really huge--178 and 208 pounds. Had a dog come after me while I was jogging--I didn't end it, but I made sure the owner was fined and cited.
Just because dogs are domesticated, does not mean they do not have instincts. Even little dogs (or even cats) can be dangerous if they are provoked a certain way. But yes, it is up to the owner to be responsible for their pet.

I have obtained a copy of the cctv and it’s heartbreaking, at one point Ronnie tries to get back in his hutch but pushes the door closed. He must of been terrified. The police said a few things could happen to the owners and their dog,
1. She gets tied up and muzzled.
2. She’s taken and try to rehome.
3. She’s destroyed.
4. No action.
5. Prosecution

the owner contacted my daughter yesterday asking if replacing Ronnie will help! We had him since he was born, it’s not that simple.
My son (Ronnie daddy) said he don’t want the dog destroyed. He said he don’t want the owners to hurt like he does. But also he’s torn as they have young children as I said and who knows if the dog could turn on them.
Personally I would prefer her rehomed and owner to be made aware this cannot be allowed to happen ever again if they were to get another dog
Oh my gosh NO! how could replacing your poor Ronnie who was tortured and killed ever help?? Nothing will alleviate the situation. My heart breaks for you. I can't even imagine. I'm terrified to bring my bun outside for this exact reason. The person who owns that dog needs to learn a lesson from this and either surrender her dog, or be proactive and never allow him off leash. This is completely unacceptable.

Oh you poor things! I feel horrible. I kept seeing this thread and couldn’t bring myself to read it from the title. I know not everyone has the space, but I keep my bun inside. Many people keep their buns outside and they are totally fine. This was a freak situation. This is absolutely NOT your fault so don’t you dare blame yourself for a second. The owner of that dog is responsible. He is the only one who should be punished and his dog should be taken away from him. What a horrible experience. I am so sorry you and your family had to go through this. I didn’t read through the thread yet but I’m hoping action is taken. Justice must be had!

Edit: Read through. This is unfair. First of all, the dog should not be euthanized as I know you don’t want that either. A dog needs proper trainer and if training is unsuccessful, they need to be properly monitored. The fact that this dog attempted multiple attacks on ur bun family is indicative of the owners lack of responsibility. Maybe there’s some sort of petition you can start to get the dog removed from the owners home and brought elsewhere? We’d all sign.

Last edited:
Unfortunately they can’t live indoors as the hubby’s allergic and I will not give up my bunnies, we have 5 at the moment, my garden is huge and totally fenced off, and nothing can dig under, somehow this terrier got in we think it managed to jump the 4 ft wall at the front, we can’t make fence any higher due to local council regulations, also we are not allowed large sheds due to complaints from neighbours, I had a 8 ft one and was told to remove it, we have stressed to the police we do not want the dog destroyed as I wouldn’t want any animal to die because it follows it natural instinct, I know the owner of the dog and he was very apologetic at first but now he hasn’t followed the police instructions and has to go to court, he and his mates have made sick comments on Facebook like it’s not my fault my dog has a taste for rabbit, and should of dragged it home we could of had stew! Comments like this make me angry, Ronnie was our baby, and it’s been a while now since the attack but it’s just not same without him and we still miss him daily x
The dog owner said that???! All of his ignorant jokes aside, it is CERTAINLY his fault for not leashing and training his dog properly. If that dog were a pitbull, he would have been put down almost immediately.

Unfortunately they can’t live indoors as the hubby’s allergic and I will not give up my bunnies, we have 5 at the moment, my garden is huge and totally fenced off, and nothing can dig under, somehow this terrier got in we think it managed to jump the 4 ft wall at the front, we can’t make fence any higher due to local council regulations, also we are not allowed large sheds due to complaints from neighbours, I had a 8 ft one and was told to remove it, we have stressed to the police we do not want the dog destroyed as I wouldn’t want any animal to die because it follows it natural instinct, I know the owner of the dog and he was very apologetic at first but now he hasn’t followed the police instructions and has to go to court, he and his mates have made sick comments on Facebook like it’s not my fault my dog has a taste for rabbit, and should of dragged it home we could of had stew! Comments like this make me angry, Ronnie was our baby, and it’s been a while now since the attack but it’s just not same without him and we still miss him daily x
Horrible, sick people who make comments like that are exactly that- horrible, sick people. We’re all here for you and if need be, I have a couple of feisty comments up my sleeve. Ain’t nobody messing with the rabbit community.

Reading your story was heartbreaking. I hope you get the justice that Ronnie deserves. I'm sorry but if I was in your situation, I would be wrecking havoc on the owner. Although it's not the dog's fault as he was acting on instinct, the owner has shown nothing but negligence on his end and does not deserve to own animals, period.
Highly agree !!

The owner is ultimately responsible for the damage their pet does. Period. A pet owner knows the behavior of their pet and must take precautions so their pet does not hurt people or animals. Or property. I am not sure there are bad animals, there are aggressive animals who see bunnies as prey and the owner is completely irresponsible and the legal system must prosecute. A dog whose aggression has not been addressed and controlled cannot be around other pets or people. Bunnies cannot defend themselves against any predator. What happened is too terrifying to imagine. Poor bunny.

This story touched my heart. I am very sorry for your loss with your permission i would like to name one of our babies Ronnie that was born on June 1st 2020 in memory of your lost baby. Here is a pic of the baby. He is gonna have a white chin and belly.

Attachments

• Baby 1.jpg
    Baby 1.jpg
    260.8 KB · Views: 7
  • Baby 2.jpg
    Baby 2.jpg
    175.9 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
That would be lovely thank you. This was Ronnie at 6 weeks old View attachment 48372
I started tearing up seeing this :( I wish you all the love in the entire world. Cannot imagine how hard this is.

I will be giving my bun a special treat in honor of Ronnie. What was Ronnie’s favorite? Maybe we could start some sort of little movement on here in his memory. Like a ‘donate a toy to a shelter’ or something like that.

do you have a rescue nearby? Maybe we can all donate $1+

Ronnie just craved cuddles and time with his human daddy, he was so loving. He loved apple. And I don't actually know if there are any shelters near where I live. I'm in the UK XX

Rabbits are just so comical it's like with rabbits you find a best fur baby friend. They are there when you are having a bad day and they are there when you need to laugh and there for a day that you just need to cry. They do not put you down or call you names they are there to be cuddled and to share your life with you can talk to them with no judgement and they don't interrupt you. I just can see my life with out my babies. I do not have a lot of friends and I don't go out very often I also live in a small town so my babies keep me sane. I don't know what I would do without them. I live central Saskatchewan Canada.

Rabbits are just so comical it's like with rabbits you find a best fur baby friend. They are there when you are having a bad day and they are there when you need to laugh and there for a day that you just need to cry. They do not put you down or call you names they are there to be cuddled and to share your life with you can talk to them with no judgement and they don't interrupt you. I just can see my life with out my babies. I do not have a lot of friends and I don't go out very often I also live in a small town so my babies keep me sane. I don't know what I would do without them. I live central Saskatchewan Canada.
Was supposed to say i can not see a life with out my babies.

Latest posts

Back