Hormonal rabbit! Help!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sirnitea

Reaction score
So lately my rabbit was starting to act weird like circling me and pooping every where. Looking it up it’s a sign of her needing to get spayed. So I called my local vet clinic and they won’t have the appointment until March 25! What can I do to sooth her, I just see her not calm down ever and I don’t know what to do I feel so bad. She was free range but since pooping every where she is now in her xpen. But I feel so bad because she’s in there a lot, I was wondering how long should I keep her in there during the day? And what can I do to calm her down?

You can try giving her a stuffed animal. It can sometimes help them get rid of some of that excess hormonal energy with the stuffie. You want one that is filled with normal batting and not beads of any sort, and also no ribbons or plastic bits on the outside that could get chewed off and swallowed posing a digestive obstruction risk.

Ushering her back to her pen when she does these things might also work, but not if her hormone levels are too out of control. Otherwise, not a whole lot can be done with those hormones overriding higher brain function :p

. So I called my local vet clinic and they won’t have the appointment until March 25!
You could try checking with other vets. Also, it is very important (in case you weren't aware) to find a vet that does loads of rabbit spays and is very experienced. (Not sure if your local vet fits that or not.)
This link from the House Rabbit Society is quite helpful in that it provides questions to ask a vet to find out if they are very experienced (most vets will "say" they are, but the specific questions lets you know for sure).
Scroll down at this link for the list of questions...
https://rabbit.org/faq-spaying-and-neutering/
If you can find a savvy vet that will spay sooner, it will be better not only for your sake but also for your rabbit's. If those hormonal behaviors are allowed to persist for too long, some of those naughty behaviors can become ingrained.

Latest posts

Back