Hoping for cage layout help

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Latte55

Reaction score
I have a disabled bunny (e cuniculi, partial paralysis on back leg) so he falls over a lot and will "flail" around to right himself. Using the base of a carrier for a litter box is working for him in terms of the low entrance and being high enough on the walls that he uses the entrance to enter and leave rather than jumping/flopping out over the sides as he did with cat litter boxes. He still can "slide" on the pellets though when he loses his balance.

His bonded mate likes to dig the litter out of the litter boxes however - and the low entrance just encourages her to throw more litter out, and further into the pen area.IMG_2981.jpg

I have been feeding the bunnies their hay just on the ground - if I pile their hay anywhere inside the litter box, they just pee on it - no area in a litter box, no matter how large, seems to be safe as the non-peeing spot. But then they pee and poop all over the hay (and the mats) as they eat when it is on the floor. Both of them do it- it is not just one or the other. Hay racks haven't worked as they just climb into them and I worry they will both hurt themselves/catch their limbs - and they pee and poop on the hay while sitting in the rack.

They are spayed/neutered, the e cuniculi was treated as best it could be, and per the vet they are both in fine health (and the e cuniculi bunny is not suffering from the paralysis - the vet said he is doing just fine with his physical limitations).

I put the litter back in the box and change out mats/towels and clean the floor twice a day, and I scoop out the soiled parts in the litterboxes every night. They have greens twice a day (but usually don't pee or poop on that floor area) and I put out fresh hay twice a day (and pile up the "old hay").
IMG_2985.JPG

Is there any way to keep their area cleaner - or set it up better? (I have another bunny that uses the normal big litter box, has hay at one end, only has a few poops on the floor ever - but he isn't as skittish as the bonded pair, and he isn't paralyzed, and he never was let go outside like the bonded pair, who luckily were recaptured by a rescue - so it isn't fair to compare them - his maintenance is minimal versus theirs)

Thanks for any suggestions you can provide. (The white is the male, the brown the female)

I have a disabled bunny (e cuniculi, partial paralysis on back leg) so he falls over a lot and will "flail" around to right himself. Using the base of a carrier for a litter box is working for him in terms of the low entrance and being high enough on the walls that he uses the entrance to enter and leave rather than jumping/flopping out over the sides as he did with cat litter boxes. He still can "slide" on the pellets though when he loses his balance.

His bonded mate likes to dig the litter out of the litter boxes however - and the low entrance just encourages her to throw more litter out, and further into the pen area.View attachment 38488

I have been feeding the bunnies their hay just on the ground - if I pile their hay anywhere inside the litter box, they just pee on it - no area in a litter box, no matter how large, seems to be safe as the non-peeing spot. But then they pee and poop all over the hay (and the mats) as they eat when it is on the floor. Both of them do it- it is not just one or the other. Hay racks haven't worked as they just climb into them and I worry they will both hurt themselves/catch their limbs - and they pee and poop on the hay while sitting in the rack.

They are spayed/neutered, the e cuniculi was treated as best it could be, and per the vet they are both in fine health (and the e cuniculi bunny is not suffering from the paralysis - the vet said he is doing just fine with his physical limitations).

I put the litter back in the box and change out mats/towels and clean the floor twice a day, and I scoop out the soiled parts in the litterboxes every night. They have greens twice a day (but usually don't pee or poop on that floor area) and I put out fresh hay twice a day (and pile up the "old hay").
View attachment 38489

Is there any way to keep their area cleaner - or set it up better? (I have another bunny that uses the normal big litter box, has hay at one end, only has a few poops on the floor ever - but he isn't as skittish as the bonded pair, and he isn't paralyzed, and he never was let go outside like the bonded pair, who luckily were recaptured by a rescue - so it isn't fair to compare them - his maintenance is minimal versus theirs)

Thanks for any suggestions you can provide. (The white is the male, the brown the female)
dear latte55,-pictures tell sometings,--excellent setup,-I donot like cages either,.--grasses {timothy,orchard}-can be placed in a bin-created with say a gardening fence,and attatched to the wire fence,-this idea worked in my facility for years.-they will not get in it,instead eat grasses through the 3in.wire fence-..there is a member on rol {pipp}-for exotic dvm info in Vancouver,ca.--E.C. is more than disableing,--sincerely james waller for joseph r cottontail,b-denium

Latest posts

Back