Hopefully it's nothing to worry about..

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Floppy Puff-Puff is losing her fur. Not all over, and not so much so that the skin is exposed...But her undercoat is visible. It started as a circular spot on her face, right above her nose, and now there's one under each eye. She doesn't favor the areas while grooming, and she's not scratching at all.

And while I was rubbing her head earlier, I noticed that a fair amount of fur was left on my fingers after she binkied away. I wasn't rubbing her hard at all.

Is this just the first stages of a molt? I've never owned a rabbit until now, so please forgive my ignorance.

Thanks in advance!

Yup, sounds like a typical molt -- if there is such a thing. Mine seem to have a different molt every time :rollseyes.

But the face molt and the 'v' shape on the forehead, the 'skirt' and the 'chicken butt' hair tufts are all normal.

As long as you're seeing an undercoat and not bare skin, you're probably fine. Just a little hairy.

sas ;)

Yep, sounds normal. Your house will be covered in bunny fur soon. Best to invest in a Zoom Groom and some tape-lint-roller thingies. There are other brushes that people swear by too, but my favorite is the Zoom Groom. My guys will let me pluck out loose hair too, but sometimes the undercoat doesn't get in as quick as the old hair falls out so they get bald spots, which of course isn't great. My guys molt from the nose downward, which makes for a funny look when they're all short-haired on the top of the back and long around the bottom--kinda like a monk with the top part of his head shaved.

Latest posts

Back