Hooked!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TrampNPigeon

Reaction score

Okay..we've now had our two rescue bunnies for a little over a week nowand I must say, I am WAY hooked already. Can't pick a favorite of thetwo.. they are just so different.
Tramp is just that... a little tramp. Hopefully he won't be as much soonce we get him fixed (I'll calling my vet about that next week when myhusband and I get back from our Anniversary trip)! He keeps trying tomount poor lil Pigeon, but she won't have any of it and turns herselfaround backwards on him... which seems to have no effect whatsoever onhim. He was bothering her so much last night that I separated them togive her a little break. Hopefully there are no little bunnies on theway but if there is I'll make sure they have nothing but the best ofhomes! Tramp is also the least outgoing of the two so far but I thinkthat will chance some also with neutering. He's my favorite pick basedon coloring though...the most beautiful grey color with just a tiny tipof white on his feet.... and the grey kinda fades to brown just rightbehind his ears. Almost like he highlighted the best places to rub him!
Personality wise, Pigeon is my favorite though... she's stillbeautiful, just in a slightly different way. She's also grey but with awhite nose and a white band around her neck, shoulders and girth area(called girth on a horse at least LOL... hope it's the same forbunnies) and her front feet are also white. I'm filling up a load ofpictures of them both now so I should have them posted next week evenmaybe! She is the funniest! She still won't really let me pet her(unless I pick her up but I'm trying to avoid doing that until she hasbuilt up trust in me), but tonight I was sitting on the floor with herplaying games. I discovered tonight that she loves to "chase" my handif I'm playing "spider" on the ground with it (moving my fingers on thecarpet). She is also my escapist bunny so far. She isn't afraid to tryand jump my temporary barriers and give me a hard time finding onestall and sturdy enough to keep her in!
The 1/2" hardware cloth bottom on the dog kennel is working great fornow (thanks Buck!) and I have a larger cage that can more easilyaccomodate two full size rabbits on the way. I'm also working onsetting up a play area for them outside their cage. That will be a loteasier to do once I'm finished painting/carpeting the spare bedroom inthe house and I can move all the furniture out of the way and back intothe room! Even so.. Tramp has full run of the spare bedroom since he'sproven to be hard on Pigeon(no paint in there to hurt him yet, don'tworry). Pigeon has the cage and about a 12x12' space blocked off aroundthe cage to play in when I am home to supervise!
Anyhow.. that's the update on them both for the time being. Will keepyou posted and have pics up asap. Thanks for the advicd and help youguys have given me!

Cheryl

Hi, Pigeon&Fumper! We recentlyadopted a bunny from the House Rabbit Society and he has quickly becomethe "baby" of the house!

I've got him spoiled rotten and we too are hooked on bunnies!

I know! I know! lol! :D

I've already started working on my husband to let us get a companion bun for my Sherman!

Pigeon & Fumper,

It only gets worse!

Hi BunnyMommy,

May I make a suggestion? Wait until you get on the other side of SirSherman's health problem. It's very contagious amongst rabbits and anew friend would most likely catch what he's got.

Still work on your husband, mind you! I think you're an absoluteSweetheart for trying ways to get him to realize that car rides don'talways mean a vet visit.

-Carolyn

Sad news tonight...

When I got home from work this evening my husband told me (before I gotdownstairs to where the rabbits are kept) that the female had been"molting" a lot and that her coat was a lot smoother. I ran down tocheck on her and found the tell-tale signs of a nest... complete with atowel I had in the cage and her fur piled in and around it. What myhusband had either missed or what hadn't been there when he last sawher were the four babies. All of them still born. It was quite sad. :(I guess this would explain why she wouldn't allow the male bunny tomount her the last couple of days. We had no idea that she was alreadypregnant, much less that far along as she had not shown signs of itprior to the nesting today (that we could see anyhow). She has lostquite a bit of weight, which is saying a bit since she was somewhatunderweight before. Of course she has had plenty of access to food andwater since I got her but having found her on the street there is notelling what her care was before we got her and being in a brand newhouse with all kinds of things to stress over didn't help. I just wishI had known more so that maybe I could have done something to help hermore. She and Tramp are separated now and will stay so until severalweeks after he gets fixed (will look into fixing them both but he'llhave to go first since I know from working at the vets it's much lessinvasive and therefore not as expensive). Well... that's my sad news ofthe day. We'll recover and move on though and I know I'll be havingmuch happier and healthier bunnies soon!

Cheryl

PS-Other than allowing full access to pelleted food, what is the best way to build little Pigeon's weight up some safely?

Cheryl, I'm so sorry to read of yourloss. This is not my area of expertise, so all I can offer ismy sympathies at this time.

Latest posts

Back