Honking!!!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Strax

Reaction score
So one of my buns make this noise which I think is honking? Or maybe grunting? I am trying to figure out if this is a happy noise, or a bug off noise!! It's sometimes hard to tell with her, as the situation is always different surrounding the noises!!

Either way I super duper love the noise! It sooo sweet!!!

I have one female rabbit who growls when she's being a grump and I have a male who would honk at me before he got neutered when he would try and mount my arm or circle my legs lol. Usually you can tell the difference based on their body language. Are you doing anything that would make her growl or is she making the noise as a greeting? Honking and growling sound sort of similar but growling usually is accompanied, at least for Macy, with her ears back whereas Leo's honks would have ears normal.

Her ears are always up. One time she was coming to me for treats (pellets) one time I was cleaning her litter box, one time I was brushing her (which she hates) the scenarios are so different. There is never any nipping or lunging because that isn't in her personality even when she is super mad at me

In my experience, I've found that honking is generally a happy noise of contentment. If you walk up to her carrying a fav food that she can plainly see, does she start honking?

If it's honking, it's probably a hormone-related noise (assuming she's not spayed) so it doesn't really indicate any particular mood. Some rabbits are more vocal than others. Aki made noises before getting spayed, she stopped after but she still mumbles when she eats vegetables she likes which is really cute.

Brady grunts when he cleans his fur, its adorable. I recently also switched the material he had for his bedding and he loves it, when I got to add more, he grunts and binkys and then tries to burrow into the bedding.

We had a large female, Lilli that would run around the room making a honking noise when she was excited and happy and running around the room at treat or vegetable time--with her it was a happy and excited sound combined with running and binkies--just have to watch and see what is stimulating the behavior to figure it out.

I think many rabbits understand that humans communicate by sound and so each one finds its signature way of vocalizing to show its pleasure in its relationship with you.

Latest posts

Back