Homeless Man Jumps into river to save his rabbit

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

irishbunny

Reaction score
A well known and liked homeless man who has fallen upon hard times keeps two pets a small Jack Russell Terrier and a rabbit. They are his companions and rarely leave his side. On this particular evening a young man of 18 decides to commit a horrible act of animal cruelty by stealing the rabbit and tossing in into the river Liffey. The homeless man leaps to the rescue of his beloved pet and braves the tidal river. Miraculously he manages to save the rabbit from drowning but in the process becomes stranded below the bridge. Freezing cold and unable to reach the bank the awaits his own rescue by the Dublin fire brigade.

http://thedailyedge.thejournal.ie/man-jumps-into-liffey-to-save-pet-rabbit-169390-Jul2011/

I can't believe someone could be so cruel as to throw a poor homeless mans companion into a river! Well done to the owner for jumping in and saving the bunny :)

Good for him, the rest of us rabbit lovers would have done the same. I know I would have and I am not a strong swimmer. Let us know if you ever hear of a fund being set up for him and his babies. I would give gladly to that. Some of the comment following the video certainly show that some people are not animal lovers.

So inspiring!! I love the pic you posted Erica, the bunny looks so happy just sitting in his lap! They are a family, I bet he perfers them over humans any day, they dont judge him they love him unconditionally!!

I pulled a dog out of the creek here this spring, there was still ice on the banks, the poor thing was clinging too a branch, I managed too grab his collar without falling in. Got him out as his collar came loose. His owner was bike riding with him off leash and the dog didnt cross the bridge, he decided to try and swim across. Lucky for the dog a friend of mine and I took our dogs for a walk that day!

what a great story! I'm so glad the bunny was okay and didn't die from hypothermia. I read somewhere the man was offered a full time position at a farm working with animals. :)

Beautiful! I would have done the same thing for my two rabbits and anyone else's rabbit(s). I love animals and they are family to me not just pets.

Whoever it was that threw the rabbit in the water... they're a jerk. They will get what is coming to them :/ KARMA.

This story brought tears to my eyes. Of happiness of course. It makes me happy to know there are even more people out there who care about their animals like I do (I know you guys do too but a lot of the people around me make me feel like I am the only one). I am so glad the rabbit and the man are okay. I would have done the same. c:

<3

I think the guy was offered a job at an animal shelter after this too, which is just wonderful.

1) Evil person who does that kind of thing deserves to rot in jail (just my own opinion that others will think it much over the top I'm sure). If you can do that to a bunny what can you do to a child or another human being who isn't fluffy and helpless?

2) He clearly loves his bunny and that just makes my heart warm. All people should love their pets as much as we do and clearly he does, as much as to leap into a river to save them. I know without a doubt I would.

Jen

This story has warmed my heart :).

thanks for posting it, Grace, and for the update Anaira. I hope lots of people turn out to see him get his award :). (And I hope the no-good SOB who threw the rabbit off the bridge gets what he deserves :pssd:)

Jan

Just thought I'd say I saw this guy a few weeks ago in person, the bunny is still going strong. He was sitting on the street with it and his dog in his lap. The bunny was looking very relaxed on the busy road with lots of noise and people.

Latest posts

Back