home-made carrier worked great on my train trip

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LakeCondo

Reaction score
I wanted to report how well my home-made carrier for Honey worked on the train trip from my small Chicago condo to my somewhat larger but not palatial summer home near a small lake [hence I'm LakeCondo].

The trip is about 3 1/2 hours in total, with a 2-2 1/2 hr train trip & 1-1 1/2 hour walking to & from the train stations, pulling a luggage cart [me, not Honey]. So my requirements for a carrier were much different from most that I needed it to be small & light. Luckily what I made was ideal for Honey, but I wouldn't recommend it for a rabbit larger than about 5 lbs, as it's aluminum & not strong enough for a larger animal.

I got the idea from someone having made a carrier with 6 cube panels. I used cake/cookie coolers instead. LET ME CONTINUE THIS AFTER I MEASURE THEM.

Each of the 6 were 8.6x12.6". Because they aren't square, they form a box 12.6 long by 8.6" deep by 8.6" high. The door is on the end & is like a draw bridge. The extra 4" on each end panel are the handles. I used binder clips to fasten it shut when Honey was in it. There is a piece of cardboard for a floor. Each of the 6 pieces has it's 4 feet on the outside of the carrier. HOWEVER there was one thing that complicated making it, the need for screening Honey from seeing lots of other people. I cut fabric into pieces & sewed them where needed, to allow air in but provide shielding. The attachment of the fabric pieces required it be done before the carrier was fully assembled, which meant keeping track of what would be where.

Let me know if you want to know more, including about how I held it in place on the luggage cart. Sorry, no pictures. Cameras aren't a part of my life, and Honey refuses to figure out digital cameras, posting them, etc. either. Anyway, I would have had to have made pictures as I went & the sewing part took longer than expected & adding picture taking would have made me miss my train.

BTW it turned out to be the perfect size to fit between my seat & the back of the seat in front of me.

Glad your idea worked and your trip was smooth. Have fun on the lake.:thumbup

Latest posts

Back