Holland lop vs. Mini lop

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tanya_v

Reaction score
As I've mentioned in the Introductions, I am considering a baby bunny for my family. My kids want a smaller lop bunny (I would get a Flemish giant :biggrin2:). I did my research but still not sure whichlop would fit our family better. My kids are 13 and 8 year old boys. Both grew up with cats around and are very gentle with pets. We also have a rat and they play with him just fine.

I like both mini and holland (those cheeks:p). The question is about their personalities (in general). Ideally, our bunny should be sweet and cuddly (I'd like to be able to handle my bunny for a while and get sone bunny kisses :blushan:), friendly andplayful, not a high-strung one but not too lazy. Bunny binkies are a +.:)

Thanks!

I dont think that you can always 100% say that a "certain" breed is going to be good, there are generalized ways different rabbit breeds are but doesnt necessarily say that , that is what you are going to get,lol.

I love the lops,omg they are too cute. I had a Mini lop, he was 7-8 lbs , hated to be picked up, but was so relaxed and chill lil guy. I now have a holland lop, his favorite snack is BLOOD, lol. He name is CHarger and he got his name because he charges me and tries to bite, but i can pick him up,lol!!!!!

I just think Mini Lops are the cutest things! And they seem so sweet and friendly!

But it really depends on how much time is spent with the rabbit as well not just the breed.

I have had 4 Mini Lops and I love the breed. 1 of mine was wild and skittish, 1 was a doll, and 2 became monsters in adolescence but were sweethearts once spayed. All but the first were friendly and non-skittish. But you really can't generalize personality by breed. If temperament is very important to you, you may wish to adopt an adult rabbit from a shelter or rescue where people can tell you what its personality is like. I strongly recommend spaying/neutering due to the health, litterbox training, and behavioral benefits.

You should maybe check out a rescue, that's one way if you are looking for a certain personality (cuddly, friendly, people orientated) so you get a rabbit that fits your family.

Babies can be very very sweet, but as they grow up their personalities can change and you may not end up with what you were hoping for as some rabbits just aren't cuddlers or groomers, some can be very independant. You could get an energetic baby, but their 'real' personalities when they mature could be one that could not mesh well with your family.. so that's why I always encourage people if they are looking for a specific personality, to work with a rescue so everyone in the mix ends up with exactly what they wanted! I definitely recommend adult rabbits for people if they are looking for a certain personality.. babies can be cute, but as soon as they hit their teenage years - oh my goodness! So I wouldn't close the door for the adult category quite yet! :)

Rabbits are very individual based, so it can be a very hit miss thing with breeds. Good luck!

Latest posts

Back