Holland Lop questions

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Amy1973

Reaction score
Hello bunny experts! I need your help. Is my bunny a blue fawn harlequin? At 11 weeks he weighs on 1lb and 4oz, is he considered a dwarf Holland Lop? What color bunny do you suggest that I can breed with him to get litters of solid and harlequin colored bunnies? Thank you in advance for your help!

Attachments

• 2020-08-19 12.48.53 1.JPG
    2020-08-19 12.48.53 1.JPG
    106.5 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_3771.jpg
    IMG_3771.jpg
    148 KB · Views: 17
  • 20200829_143636 (1).JPG
    20200829_143636 (1).JPG
    391.7 KB · Views: 15
1. I'm thinking he is a blue/fawn harlequin, looks a lot like one! I believe he is also considered a dwarf holland lop as of now, dwarfs get to be 2-4 lbs from my understanding, but he probably will get bigger than that

2. I don't know much about breeding, but @SableSteel should be able to give you a good answer :D

Here's a photo of a blue/fawn harlequin if you want to compare your bunny to this one -
1598884979054.png

I believe your bunny is acutally a magpie, due to the white markings. It could be the lighting, but the lighter color looks white, not fawn (cream). He could also be a blue / fawn magpie, if that's even a color (more pictures could help determine this). I'm not super familiar with magpies, I more specialize in harlequins. Can other breeders back me up on this?? Ahem, @SableSteel.

Here's an example of one of my past blue/cream harlequin bunnies for a comparison - note the definite stripes and no white:
00100lrPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20200428173528254_COVER~2.jpg

The blue eyes indicate he is Vienna marked, therefore he carries the Vienna gene and can produce blue-eyed babies. For your best chance at producing Vienna marked babies, pair him to a Vienna marked or BEW female. The coloring BEW is responsible for the blue-eyed gene.

Holland Lops are considered a dwarf breed. Once he is around 5 - 6 months old, he will be fully grown and you will know his adult weight. If he is around 3 lbs as an adult, he is most likely a true dwarf. If he is around 4+ lbs, he is most likely a false dwarf. It is hard to say for sure without knowing his parents size, though!

For your best chance at harlequin babies I would pair him with a harlequin doe. You will most likely get magpies and harlequins from that litter (that is, if he is indeed a magpie) but it totally depends on the genetics as I said earlier. Is he pedigreed, and does he carry harlequin if so? Did the breeder you bought him from give you any sort of information on him? Hope this helps, your rabbit is precious!

Last edited:
Thank you for your reply @Happy Hollands. :)

He has three colors, mostly blue with white, and has few spots of light brown. Does that make him a magpie?

I actually want some solid color kits..hoping for a light blue or cream. Is this possible? What color doe can I breed with him for a chance to make some diluted solid colors? Unfortunately, the breeder didn't give me any information and she's closed down due to Covid 19 and not responding to my texts or emails.

He could be a blue/fawn harlequin. Could also be a blue magpie with, with some brassy colors or stains. Blue fawn/harlequin is fawn and blue-gray, blue magpie is white and blue-gray.

Breeding him to another harlequin or to a fawn, cream or tort is your best chance at more harlequins. If you breed him to, say, a blue with a cream or tort parent you'd likely get a mixture of blues and harlequins. Can't say much more without knowing what's in his lines.

He could be a blue/fawn harlequin. Could also be a blue magpie with, with some brassy colors or stains. Blue fawn/harlequin is fawn and blue-gray, blue magpie is white and blue-gray.

Breeding him to another harlequin or to a fawn, cream or tort is your best chance at more harlequins. If you breed him to, say, a blue with a cream or tort parent you'd likely get a mixture of blues and harlequins. Can't say much more without knowing what's in his lines.
Thank you for your help!

Latest posts

Back