Holland Lop: Peanut or Not

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TeslaTheBunny

Reaction score
Hello,
my holland lop girl had 4 babies, unfortunately 2 looked quite undeveloped and were stillborn. The remaining two are both alive.
I am concerned about one of the babies being a peanut. This baby is only .65 ounces while my other baby is 1.25 ounces. Also, their feet look a little weird. However I don't think their head looks unnaturally large and this baby is quite active and squirmy. Would you say it's a peanut or just a runt?
Also, mom only fed one baby last night, this one wasn't fed. How do I get mom to feed this baby and how long should I wait before hand-feeding? Thanks!
IMG_20210814_145857637.jpgIMG_20210814_145906072.jpgIMG_20210814_145912230.jpgIMG_20210814_145916343.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20210814_145857637.jpg
    IMG_20210814_145857637.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_20210814_145906072.jpg
    IMG_20210814_145906072.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_20210814_145912230.jpg
    IMG_20210814_145912230.jpg
    148.2 KB · Views: 2
Peanuts will be much smaller than normal, usually stay on the skinny side and often have tiny pointed ears set back further on the head, bulging dome shaped head, bulging eyes, and underdeveloped hindquarters often causing the hind limbs to fold inwards. If you're only seeing malformed hind limbs and a smaller size, it's possible it could just be a runt with a genetic abnormality. All you can do is wait and see how it continues to develop, or if it is clearly suffering than humanely having it pts is the best option.

The missed feeding, I would very carefully hold the kit to moms belly. If you have someone to help hold mom, the best way is to bring the baby up under her belly to nurse. You have to be extremely careful mom doesn't kick out or stomp the kit.

If you can't get the baby to nurse off mom with your help and it's been more than 36 hours since it last ate, you may need to intervene with syringe feeds if it seems to be getting wrinkly(dehydrated) and lethargic at all. But hand feeding should be a last resort as it very commonly will result in the kit aspirating and dying of pneumonia. So all attempts for it to nurse off the mom should be made first. If you do have to hand feed, I would use a concentrated goats milk formula using dried goats milk.

https://jaimielistens.com/how-to-feed-orphaned-baby-rabbits/

Peanuts will be much smaller than normal, usually stay on the skinny side and often have tiny pointed ears set back further on the head, bulging dome shaped head, bulging eyes, and underdeveloped hindquarters often causing the hind limbs to fold inwards. If you're only seeing malformed hind limbs and a smaller size, it's possible it could just be a runt with a genetic abnormality. All you can do is wait and see how it continues to develop, or if it is clearly suffering than humanely having it pts is the best option.

https://jaimielistens.com/how-to-feed-orphaned-baby-rabbits/
Are you able to see the images and see if it looks like a peanut? Thank you for the advice on feeding.

Thank you all for replying. Unfortunately I woke up this morning and found the baby unfed, lethargic, and bluish. I warmed her up and tried syringe feeding her but she didn't make it. I guess she was a peanut. She was so sweet. Rip sweetheart

Latest posts

Back