Holland lop is deaf- issue?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chofamily

Reaction score
Is there any health effects we should be worried about if our bunny is deaf?

We’ve suspected for a long while, but recently concluded that our 10 month Holland lop is deaf. He’s a strictly indoor bunny.
I can vacuum right next to him & he doesn’t flinch while the other bunny tucks tail & hides; he acts skittish when you ‘sneak up on him’ from the back because he didn’t see you; unless he’s in front of the bowl, he doesn’t respond when we pour pellets in his bowl while the other bunny gets excited; no real ear twitching in his flopped ears & there’s no response from him when we call his name/chastise him for chewing up something (other bunny gives us a ‘look’).
The vet didn’t check his hearing during his initial visit.🤷🏼‍♀️And I didn’t think about this until post visit.

I have a BEW Holland lop that I am pretty sure is deaf or very hearing impaired. I hate to admit I didn’t clue into this until after we had him for well over a year. My bun startles if he does not see me; he is not afraid of the vacuum cleaner, he will,put his nose right up to the nozzle when I’m vacuuming fur out of his condo. He has never come to his name being called. We have two cages we keep him in; he has his own bedroom that we put him in at night. During the day, he stays in a larger 3 level condo in our living room. I learned to turn on light even during day when I approach his cage in morning to bring him out. If he is paying attention, he knows I’m coming to get him. If he is dozing, I will try to get his attention without startling him; doesn’t always work, but I try my best not to scare him.

No health effects, provided the deafness isn't being caused by an ear problem like infection, wax build up, etc. Just have to use different methods to get a deaf buns attention so you don't 'sneak' up on them and startle them.

https://www.rabbitsonline.net/threads/calling-those-with-deaf-bunnies.24674/#post-1132567
The sudden scrambling to hide when he was startled actually was the tip off to me. As a person with pet experience, I usually am approaching with my hand out for sniffing, petting & chin scratches. I think the deafness is why our 2nd bunny, Popper the rescue dwarf Hotot, is so loyal and protective of his buddy Mochi- especially why Popper is watchful when the lop is out cold in dream land. It’s cute.
How do I check for wax build up? Or is this something that we have the vet check? I’ve looked at the inside of Mochi’s ears and nothing looks unhealthy. BBB31270-4034-495B-AD69-54F5AF33A56B.jpeg

Attachments

• E613075B-651A-4E05-BE2F-90F18F7DCF91.jpeg
    E613075B-651A-4E05-BE2F-90F18F7DCF91.jpeg
    213 KB · Views: 3

Latest posts

Back