Holland Lop Having Trouble Giving Birth

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FlopsyBunnies4

Reaction score
My sweet Holland lop, Flopsy, gave birth to a huge, still-born baby last night (my guess is it got stuck). I think there is another baby in there. She keeps having, what I think are contractions and pushing, but nothing is coming out. Despite being tired (and probably uncomfortable), she is eating, drinking, playing around in the x-pen, and acting like her normal self. This is not her first litter and she has had healthy, strong babies before. I love her so much and want to do what's right for her. Is there anything I could do to help her?

Thank you so much!

I know this reply is super late, but hopefully it can help others in the future. Kale is great for building up contractions, and lavender can induce labor if she is extremely overdue and/or has stuck kits. Sorry to hear about your doe!

Thanks! We ended up taking her to the vet when she stopped eating/drinking late at night. The vet said she was exhausted and had been in a stalled labor all day. After making sure she was able to get the kit out without getting hurt in the process, they gave her oxytocin and she was able to pass the baby the next day. She is doing much better!

Glad to hear she is on the mend! While this could be a one-time thing, I recommend retiring her from breeding so you don't risk her life ☺

The vet recommended retiring her as well. This is not the first time she has lost a litter (out of her four litters, she has only had two successful litters with healthy babies). I didn't notice this was out of the norm for a Holland lop until this last time. She is a very special girl and from now on will be a spoiled pet 😊

Latest posts

Back