Holding my rabbit + rabbit stroller

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BunLover

Reaction score
Hi,
My rabbit does not let me hold him at all, Maybe a few times when there is a important reason or something, But I really want to hold him, Is there anyway he will let me hold him? I don't want him to not like me. He is about 3 yrs old. Also do any of you have a pet stroller for your rabbit? Thanks for all the help.

The closest thing to “holding” I do is put them in their litter box, put the the litter box on the opposite side of the couch from me, and let them hop around on the couch of their own free will. Whether or not the rabbit hops around or stays in the litter box depends on the rabbit. Sometimes I put a blanket I don’t care about on the couch as well so that when I’m done any poop or hay can be dumped into the litter box (also if anybody decides not to pee in the litter box)5C8409F5-F123-464F-B2FA-B2C7BFADDA9B.jpeg3F80051F-1CD7-458A-9F63-9B57A20F049D.jpeg

Thanks, he sits on me sometimes and I get some joy from that.😅

i’m in love with that black bunny😍! Sorry for the of topic! You can get some strollers on amazon
The black one is White Fang he was from a previous litter, sold now. He also had a practically identical sister named Moon.4103BF63-BD6B-4643-9903-6B10509B6E8D.jpeg
White Fang
B599F30F-E813-4546-91F6-72E2590CB2F3.jpeg
Moon
Thanks, he sits on me sometimes and I get some joy from that.😅
If you want him to sit with you more you could hand feed him his daily veggies on your lap. Then when you sit down he will always expect veggies, and that will give you a chance to bond with him.
C1A9BF81-2855-4526-9D4F-7E1B84007B46.png

Hi,
My rabbit does not let me hold him at all, Maybe a few times when there is a important reason or something, But I really want to hold him, Is there anyway he will let me hold him? I don't want him to not like me. He is about 3 yrs old. Also do any of you have a pet stroller for your rabbit? Thanks for all the help.

Step by step. It can take time to build that bond and slowly work up to him allowing some holding for cuddles. The key is not to force it and drive him away. The following offers hints and ideas:
https://rabbitsindoors.weebly.com/bonding-with-your-bunny.html
For a stroller, be sure it is completely enclosed so bunny cannot escape. Provide hay in there too. I've used the following stroller. I would put a low plastic tub inside with some litter and topped with hay. Depends on the rabbit as to whether or not they will be ok with it. Some will be terrified of going new places. The only way to know is to try it out and observe your rabbit's reactions. (The link given provides a link on bunny body language to help you interpret his body language when in the stroller carrier.)

1651875695423.jpeg

I can hold all my bunnies but they all took different long time to get to their comfortable level. I always first focused on bonding and slowly built up to holding.

I train my bunnies, the latest in the family is slowly getting used to be held and touched. I’ve always used their daily pellets as treats when training them.

Hi,
If you want him to like you, stop picking him up, only do that when absolutely necessary. Just spend as much time as you can sitting or lying on the floor near him. The only reasonable use for a pet stroller is to transport bunny to the vet. Bunnies generally hate being taken out of their familiar environment and it can cause serious stress.

You can train many rabbits to at least tolerate being picked up and held for some time. But it takes patience , repetition, small steps, and treats. Can take months.
I start with petting, when he's relaxed I put him in my lap, sitting on the floor and just keep petting him, when he decides it's enough and leaves he get's a treat. Then short pick ups - treat. Holding a short time, still close to the groung until he gets restless , let him hop off me on his own (I think letting them get out of the situatiuon by theself gives them more security than just putting them back down). And so on. I can carry him now, when I put my hand on his head until he his calm before picking him up, it doesn't take long until he decides it's enough, after putting on the ground he get's his treat.
In my experience on average it's easier with bucks than with does, but every rabbit is different.

I haven't ever tried something like strollers, and can't imagine mine would like it any more than being transported in a carrier. I never got the impression they are enjoying just looking at the scenery.

Thank you all for the help.

If you want him to like you, stop picking him up, only do that when absolutely necessary. Just spend as much time as you can sitting or lying on the floor near him. The only reasonable use for a pet stroller is to transport bunny to the vet. Bunnies generally hate being taken out of their familiar environment and it can cause serious stress.
I only pick him up when I have to, and I tend to disagree to the fact that all rabbits hate strollers, I think some rabbits like them, (sorry)

Latest posts

Back