Hmm...bun ear.....what does this appear to be on it?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 25471

Lionel and Murphy
Reaction score
Just noticed it all of the sudden (could have missed it developing though, he is a lop ear - so his ears are always down...... Its only on ONE ear....and there is nothing down IN the ear.... It almost looks like a "brush burn" that a child would get though Its very orangey in color, not red. There is nothing on the outer part of the ear. It is not oozy at all , just rough. And what should I put on it (if anything?) Doesn't really seem to bother him too much. I don't see him scratching it, maybe a little.

Attachments

• ear1.jpg
    ear1.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 10
  • ear2.jpg
    ear2.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 11
I don't think it is ear mites, but I wouldn't rule that out yet. For now, I would put some Antibiotic ointment on it, and see if that helps (I know it is probably impossible, but try to keep him from licking it off). If it begins to heal, I wouldn't worry about it being mites.

Thanks. It does appear to be getting better. I will try a little Neosporin - I initially tried some mineral oil in case it was mites. But since its not down IN the ear - I think your are correct. Makes sense, but its helpful to get another opinion. Thanks.

It does look to be an abrasion or friction burn of some sort, though it is a pretty unusual spot. Maybe his ear got caught on something.

It does look to be an abrasion or friction burn of some sort, though it is a pretty unusual spot. Maybe his ear got caught on something.
Thanks for you take on it. I've never seen ear mites - and I know it can be ON the ear....but it seems it begins WITHIN the ear which in this case is clear. (I looked online to see what they look like and they show all these severe cases - hard to know what they look like in the initial stages) though I finally managed recently to come across a few.

Latest posts

Back