Hm, random increased thumping from older male rabbit?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thetwobunnies

Reaction score
So I have noticed an increase in thumping from my older male rabbit. He lives with my younger female who is not spayed (but he has been spayed for a little over a year now, actually today is his adoption day :D)

The other day, I went into their cage to re fill their hay in their litter box and I dragged the litter box across the wood floor which made a loud-ish noise and my male rabbit started thumping and hopped to the empty space where his litter was box while I was re-filling his litter box with hay, I just thought the noise spooked him out even though I do it seriously every night, and I have vacuumed in my room before and I've done things that are louder before so I'm not sure.
Also last night I walked to my bed (which is right next to the rabbits' cage) and both my rabbits were on the second shelf and my male started thumping and he was running around wildly and he was crazy and his eyes were huge, and my younger female really didn't pay too much attention to him. I tried to calm him down by gently petting him but that didn't really work. My dog was also in my room walking around on my bed and also jumped down a few minutes later, but both my rabbits have been around my dog out in the open (I usually keep them separated but sometimes they come in contact with each other) and my dog is harmless, although I am aware he can kill my rabbits so I am VERY careful. sometimes my dog is hiding under my bed when I let my rabbits out and I am aware, and my dog is kind of scared of my rabbits? so he always comes out and scratches at the door to get out. He is a yorkie and a little bigger than my male (4.5lbs rabbit approx)

Is this anything to be concerned about? What should I do when he starts thumping?

I wonder if his change in behavior has anything to do with your girl's hormones kicking in. Maybe he senses a change in her and it's making him more jumpy and skittish.

It could be quite possible, I have been noticing LOTS of accidents around the cage - not really sure who's doing it though. I'm assuming it's the female's since my male is pretty good about using his litter box 98% of the time. I just hope we can all pull through for just another couple of months, and hopefully everything will be fine afterwards. Thanks

It sounds like the thumping had to do with him probably being upset about you moving the litter box, rather than scared. Maybe he had to pee :) The other thumping episode could have been anything. Most likely he heard or smelled something that freaked him out.

Latest posts

Back