Hind Leg Use

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hillrise

Reaction score
Eek! Glad I'm home today instead of at work! Usually my rabbits fare fine as long as I provide them ice bottles to lie against, but today it's well over a hundred, and all of them are complaining about it even with their bottles. I got a fan set up blowing through the walkway, and a mister going on the roof, which seems to be helping.

I just hope it's not too late for Dudette. While I was setting up the mister I noticed that she wasn't using her back legs, even though she was freaking out and doing circles (not even sure why she's freaking out except that she can't use her back legs...):nerves1

I decided to check on her and notice there was a tiny bit of blood on her nose. I've brought her inside, and am offering her watermelon and chamomile (she's very tense), as well as a damp rag (which I used to cool her ears down a little bit). She's not interested in eating, though.

She's still able to move her tail a little bit, but it looks like she lost her bladder...or at least there was a lot of yellow still on her vent when I looked.

I just hope she'll be able to recover...I'd hate to have to put her down so young (not quite 3 months old). She does keep making motions like she's trying to get her feet back under her, so I think she can feel them...and they're not completely loose, as the back of her hocks are still tucked up to her rump. :pray:

P.S. I'm not so much looking for tips as good thoughts, and if anyone thinks she has a chance to recover.

Its a guess but the paralysis could be renal failure, not sure if subq fluids would help, but worth a shot.

(And I know you're not looking for advice, but we try to answer for the benefit of other readers as well as the posters).

sas :pray:

Hmm...didn't know paralysis could be a symptom of renal failure...learn something new, I guess. I doubt it's the case, though, given her age, and the fact that she's been quite normal (eating habits, general behavior) even through this morning.

She's not quite breathing as hard anymore, but is still unable to use her back legs, and I'm more convinced that she lost control of her bladder. :(

She'll be staying overnight in the house, it looks like...I just hope she can recover...

I may be using the wrong terms re: both 'renal failure' and 'paralysis' and/or overstating it, I don't have time to try and find the material, but dehydration and even UTIs can cause hind-end weakness in a rabbit.

I don't know about total paralysis though.

sas :pray:

Latest posts

Back