Hidey hut found at Target

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I found this at Target today. Before I got LB and was buying everything for when she arrived, I got the largest Oxbow hut. When LB joined us, that hut was far to small for a 5 pound (2.3 kg) rabbit.

This hut from Target I put a can of cat food in so you can get a feel for the size. $20 USD. The rug thing could easily be removed and it's corrugated cardboard under the rug.

Attachments

• 20200920_115628.jpg
    20200920_115628.jpg
    338.3 KB · Views: 23
Do you have to worry about bunnies eating the 'sherpa' soft interior? I'd love to provide a soft spot that could then be washed/dried if peed on but not if I have to 'watch' my bunnies with it non-stop. Thoughts???

It depends on the bun, Lucas would dig but not chew that, you could do a โ€œtrial runโ€œ and see how they react.
Or use fleece to cover it ๐Ÿ™‚ and then put a grass mat to make sure they donโ€™t eat it, but it kind of defeats the purpose.

I would say it totally depends on the rabbit. One of my rabbits would totally tear it apart in a day. However, my other rabbits would chin the entire thing to mark it as theirs and then just curl up and sleep inside it.
You could try wrapping the bottom with a towel or fleece material if you are worried about it. The sides are all cardboard so that wouldn't be a problem.
I would save the money and just give them an upside down box with the sides cut out so they can pass through. I've found that to be the best places for them to hide. Plus, if they chew it up Amazon is always delivering more houses for them whenever I order something. ;)
There are so many toys and things for sale for rabbits and animals it is easy to get caught up and start buying things for them. In my experience the toys they like best are ones that are free and I make for them myself. (ie. toilet paper rolls, cardboard boxes, paper bags). I buy something for them and they end up playing with and liking the box better than the toy. Every rabbit and living situation is different, so you need to do what is best for you and your bun.

I didn't mention the "sherpa" fabric. I used sherpa fabric for a while and never had a problem with it. It is better for them to chew fabric then carpet though. They loved the fabric as it is soft and they can dig and fluff around in it. It is also easy to wash. I ended up taking it out as it is really hard to get hay off the fabric itself. I got sick of picking all the hay off piece by piece before washing. But, the rabbits LOVED it. Had no issues with it.

I didn't mention the "sherpa" fabric. I used sherpa fabric for a while and never had a problem with it. It is better for them to chew fabric then carpet though. They loved the fabric as it is soft and they can dig and fluff around in it. It is also easy to wash. I ended up taking it out as it is really hard to get hay off the fabric itself. I got sick of picking all the hay off piece by piece before washing. But, the rabbits LOVED it. Had no issues with it.
Oh! I didn't even think about hay getting embedded in the sherpa!! That'd drive me bonkers! Thanks Anna R.

Latest posts

Back