Hides house recommendations please

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks! It looks like they have a decent setup already.

Are you looking for a hidey area to get them off the floor as winter sets in? I see you already have a cardboard box. Those make fine hideys too. You could always add another. If it's the cold you are concerned about, some mats or fleece could be placed under (or in) the cardboard box for warmth.

If they don't use the pink carrier, then might as well remove it. I'd be concerned they could jump on top of it and then over the cage wall.

Speaking of the cage wall, a rabbit could hop over 2 grids of height pretty easily if they desired. Have they tried that yet?

Now that I see your setup, just trying to figure out what it is you are after for a hidey.
Yes I’d ideally like something with a solid base so they aren’t on the floor, and I was worried cupboard wouldn’t be insulating enough for cold nights (they are great otherwise). I tried adding a towel under the box but they just end up moving it around and it gets screwed up.

I didn’t realise they could hop over a double tier. They have both lived in their for a year and never hopped out yet (or not that I know of). Would 3 rows high be better, I have some spare pieces so I could put another row around.

As mentioned in another thread, most (if not all) the cages shown on this link are woefully small and quite inappropriate for a rabbit. These types of articles are written by freelance authors and paid by Amazon to help them sell products. :(
I actually bought one of these hutches for my baby girl to house her before she was neutered. It's an attractive looking hutch but that's all I can say. If you have a very small bun or guineas then it would be fine. But for my purposes it was very small and flimsy. I think I'm going to stick with upcycling.

I didn’t realise they could hop over a double tier. They have both lived in their for a year and never hopped out yet (or not that I know of). Would 3 rows high be better, I have some spare pieces so I could put another row around.

Your buns may be less inclined to escape than other buns. Looking back again I also see that you used the connectors that come with the grids. Those can also pop off and rabbits have been known to break through if zip ties aren't used in addition to those connectors. But again, it seems that your rabbits are doing fine as is.

If you use zip ties to secure an extra row of grids, you would have the option of placing them halfway overlapping the upper grids so the height would be increased by about 6-8" instead of the full height of entire grid.

Your buns may be less inclined to escape than other buns. Looking back again I also see that you used the connectors that come with the grids. Those can also pop off and rabbits have been known to break through if zip ties aren't used in addition to those connectors. But again, it seems that your rabbits are doing fine as is.

If you use zip ties to secure an extra row of grids, you would have the option of placing them halfway overlapping the upper grids so the height would be increased by about 6-8" instead of the full height of entire grid.
Oh goodness I didn’t know that either, I guess I have very well behaved buns as they haven’t broken out (yet)! The cage came with zip ties as well as the connectors but I went with the connectors to put it together. I still have the zip ties so can reinforce the structure in case. Luckily if they had got out they won’t get very far the garage is secure. Worst case scenario they would eat their way through the bag of pellets I keep in there!

Cardboard boxes are cheap, available in any size, chewable, and you can put them together in any combo to fit your needs.

Alternately they sell cat houses made of cardboard if you want something ready made. I've used cardboard for both indoor and outdoor rabbits for decades. I buy long tunnel shaped ones at the shipping store (UPS here in the states) My rabbits have prefered them to plastic

Latest posts

Back