Hide boxes

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RoseBun1

Reaction score
How tall should hide boxes be? I'm going to be building some as a set of steps to get up to higher levels, but I don't know if I should make one tallish one or 2 shorter.

From the floor to the bottom of the level above is 20"

Option 1:
One box 24"L x 10"D x 13-14" high. This would leave 6ish inches from the box to the next level.

Option 2:
Two boxes
First Box: 28"L x 10"D x 7ish high
Second box placed on top of first: 14"L x 10" D x 7ish high.

Thoughts?

You'll only need one box. You could probably use any one of those boxes. If you use a box 13" high or a box 7" high makes no difference. The jump height will be the same (13" box is a 13" hop plus a 7" hop while the 7" box is a 7" hop plus a 13" hop).

Of course, the ideal would be to make the box 10" in height. All of your boxes include a 10" dimension. Perhaps just use that as the height instead of the D.

I was more concerned by the internal usable space as a hide than the ability to jump the height. Sorry I didn't explain that. I want the hides to still be functional and act as "stairs"

Gotcha. Rabbits will make do with various sizes. Check the box in the upper left of the following collection. You can see how small it is and yet they still liked it.

Of course these are all just cardboard boxes, but it does bring up a point. Some rabbits will tire of permanent structures while a "new" cardboard box almost always garners attention. Trading out boxes often adds interest. So, while you can get fancy and make a permanent or wood box/step, you could also make due with something as simple as a cardboard box or even a plastic step stool similar to the one pictured below. That would be seen as a hidey too.

upload_2019-4-9_12-53-19.png

4188hw-%2B38L.jpg

Good to know. I was planning on making them movable, and split apart mostly for cleaning, but I can also then reconfigure stuff from time to time as well.

Latest posts

Back