Hiccuping vs Choking

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lucas the Bun

Reaction score
Hi,

So basically Lucas was let out (indoors) to play like normal.

And while doing so she started hiccuping (I guess).

I assume because she didn’t drink/eat anything right before she started hiccuping.

Gave her some baby gas drops, shes acting normal.
I’ve seen her do this twice before.

So how can you differentiate between the 2 ?

Thank You <3

Hiccupping usually causes a slight head twitch or movement, and maybe the body a little too, but otherwise the bunny acts normal.

Choking you may see foaming, bubbles, or food content coming out of the nose and/or mouth. The rabbit may be raising it's nose in the air, may have it's mouth open like it's trying to get it's breath, or may paw at it's mouth. Or it may be running around frantically because it can't breath. When they are choking, they act far from normal and it is pretty clear something is going on.

Basic rabbit choking information. (always consult with your knowledgeable rabbit vet first on the proper way to clear an airway obstruction in your rabbit)

Aside from that, it's really better to not be giving a rabbit gas meds unnecessarily. It probably won't hurt anything to do it, but no reason to be giving a rabbit meds for hiccups.

Latest posts

Back