Hi! Future bunny mom-have some questions!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I still don't think it is good. I could be completely wrong. I think if you get a cheep price then it sometimes is not good. We will see what happens with your bunny the next few weeks. (Not saying something will happen) :)
You can pay a lot of money for utterly crap in many pet shops, price doesn't say it all. It's just about what people can be convinced to pay with good marketing ;)

I would also like to add that my bun came from a rescue mission from the omish. So he was skitish at first, but now he is kind and sweet, loves to give kisses and sit on my lap. (I didnt rescue him, the rescue I got him from did)

Most of that stuff looks good. Not the harness though. It can break the rabbit's back/spine. If you want more information on that go watch My Pawfect Family.
The reason Lennon the bunny is not the best is because...
She only has one rabbit and she doesn't promote getting 2
She takes her bunny into places with a ton of people, which can stress bunnies out
Since she takes her bunny into public places it encourages others to do it, leaving bunnies scared
She promotes taking her bunny to a pet store (don't do this because of all the dogs barking and the different smells, It will freak your rabbit out)
She promotes closed litter boxes which can lead to respiratory issues in your rabbit. (rabbits have very sensitive lungs)
She promotes spring mix, which honesty, isn't the best for your bunny IMO, but that's another topic.
She promotes free-roaming for every bunny. Not every bunny is good with free-roaming, some are more outgoing, some are scared by a lot of things.
She promotes harness
and much more..
Dont get me wrong, she helped the rabbit community get to where it is today, but there are better channels for rabbit care
If you want information on Sherwood pellets @Preitler watch Ohio holland lops on youtube

I do not know about Kaytee hay, I just know Katyee as a company is terrible! They sell bad treats and unhealthy toys.
Kaytee adds fillers to there toys in treats with tons of sweeteners. They also have inhumane breeding farms for birds. They also sell yogert drops, which are extremely unhealthy for rabbits. They include dairy, which any small pet CANNOT eat.

Rabbit Food Comparision - Brand, Type, Nutritional Analysis
I would read that for the food comparison, it shows why SPS food is not the best. For Sherwood on that list, they changed their formula, so it is better and does not include alfalfa.
"
Kaytee pellets are heavy on corn. Corn is a low quality ingredient that encourages fat storage. That's why it's fed to cattle for the fat marbling effect in the meat. An oil is even used to make the fat potential worse. Given the short ingredients list aside from majority of it being corn there is also a lot of molasses and salt. Ethoxyquin is dangerous to the point it is not allowed in human food and I believe not for feeding to several animals used as human food. That is pretty much all that makes up this food. The rest is a multivitamin/mineral mix you could go buy for any type of animal. As pointed out the mix may not even be suitable for more specific guinea pig needs like calcium if we were to look at the nutritional analysis. Vit c in these cheaper foods also tends to be less stable and less guaranteed to meet guinea pig needs. The supreme diet pellets contain fish meal. Meat most definitely does not belong in guinea pig food. Fish not intended for human use is already treated with ethoxyquin before transport.

Overall kaytee has just proven over and over again that they value cheap materials for a higher profit over health of peoples' pets. The ingredient quality is always up for question even in the ingredient that seem ok on paper and many of their other products are downright dangerous." - source ( General Why is Kaytee such a bad brand?. )

Gack! I bragged about Kaytee hay the other day, but I'm halfway through my last bag and the hay in the middle is awful. The other bags were fine, and this one looked fine from the outside. You never can tell completely, no matter what the brand, since you can't see what the whole bag looks like. Still, I usually do find with being picky and choosing bags that look green and fresh from the outside. -(source is the same)

"not all are bad but the brand itself doesn't seem to know much about rabbits" -im not aloud to quote anymore haha
I would watch these channels

These people seem like they know what they are doing. So I would watch them.
https://www.youtube.com/c/TheBunnyLady/videos*** Watch like all her videos
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCX3hqxoTdrC4hkDU-0LMrewhttps://www.youtube.com/channel/UChhM7aLCMImtZoF2edIHSFQhttps://www.youtube.com/channel/UCs6jf78kza5iaJIJaYrNJ6ghttps://www.youtube.com/user/101rabbitshttps://www.youtube.com/user/abbysrabbitcare101
I would watch these videos

Scatter Feeding 101| The Best Way to Feed Your Rabbit| Preventing Food Aggression| MyPawfectFamily

DO RABBIT HIDES NEED MULTIPLE ENTRANCES| covered litterboxes| rabbit hide dangers| My Pawfect Family

Covered Litter Boxes For Rabbits| Potential Dangers and Why Not to Use Them| My Pawfect Family

Hoppy Hour| What is it and Should I go?| Rabbit Socialization Events| My Pawfect Family

5 RABBITS NOT SUITED TO FREE ROAM| can I freeroam my rabbit| free roam rabbits| My Pawfect Family

WANT A SECOND RABBIT... NOW WHAT?| preparing for a bunny| second rabbit checklist| My Pawfect Family

RABBIT PROOFING DOESN'T WORK| truth about rabbit proofing| freeroaming myths| MyPawfectFamily

For bonding watch these videos
Bonding Rabbits *What no one tells you*

FIGHTING RABBITS *why they fight and what to do about it*

STOP BUYING SINGLE RABBITS| why you shouldn't have 1 bunny| bonding rabbits |MyPawfectFamily

Can Rabbits Live Alone| Bonded Pairs vs Single Rabbits| Should I Get a Second Bunny| MyPawfectFamily

HOW TO BOND RABBITS | Bonding my all male trio

@Preitler Did you see my thing on Soy and Grains? Quote above shows all my info + sources

no I wish I did though! These people have had rabbits for years, and have done tons of research on them. They all have their flaws, but doesnt everyone?

I still don't think it is good. I could be completely wrong. I think if you get a cheep price then it sometimes is not good. We will see what happens with your bunny the next few weeks. (Not saying something will happen) :)
Not necessarily cheap.. it’s 20 bucks. He’s been feeding off of this hay since he was small. I haven’t seen any problems and he loves the hay. I just wanna put it out there that if you want good hay you have to go far for it. I live in a city. I’m a city girl and things are limited here. If I want good hay I have to go get bale from a horse place that sells it for a good price but it’s hella far and it’s 100 pounds. All those places are far. Plus sps is overpriced for the hay. As long as my rabbit is happy and I see there are no problems I’m gonna keep buying it. I see your concern about kaytee and I understand but remember that I only buy their hay and not anything else they sell because I believe they aren’t good sellers of anything else. Plus the hay it’s green and may have some brown strands but it doesn’t mean it’s not gonna provide him what he needs.I appreciate you telling me.

If you want to buy a harness you can I would just be careful when your rabbit runs because it can possibly hurt them so if you can maybe attach a long lace so they can run without being held back in your yard or wherever. I just WOULDNT use the harness to take them out for a walk in the sidewalk or the park. Only do it in your backyard or front yard where there is grass. They will enjoy dandelions and the grass.
I only plan on using in the yard, at rabbitdates,and bunnyfests
Yard sounds good and so does the rabbit dates.

The harness in the photo is a vest/velcro harness which is not advised. The only safe harnesses are the H-style harnesses. Only some rabbits will take to a harness anyway. If you want to take a rabbit out in the yard, then it's better to just set up an exercise pen (or build a safe run). Rabbits don't play like dogs so rabbit playdates are not advised either.

If you are in an area with the RHVD2 outbreak, then a rabbit should not be going outside period. The outbreak is another reason not to allow your rabbit to interact with other rabbits.

Here are a couple links for threads on this forum discussing harnessing:
http://www.rabbitsonline.net/f14/harnesses-76866/

http://www.rabbitsonline.net/f14/questions-about-collars-harnesses-78859/

This page discusses some of the considerations for deciding when and how (or if) to take your rabbit outdoors -- either in the yard, or elsewhere:
https://rabbitsindoors.weebly.com/bringing-outside.html

The harness in the photo is a vest/velcro harness which is not advised. The only safe harnesses are the H-style harnesses. Only some rabbits will take to a harness anyway. If you want to take a rabbit out in the yard, then it's better to just set up an exercise pen (or build a safe run). Rabbits don't play like dogs so rabbit playdates are not advised either.

If you are in an area with the RHVD2 outbreak, then a rabbit should not be going outside period. The outbreak is another reason not to allow your rabbit to interact with other rabbits.

Here are a couple links for threads on this forum discussing harnessing:
http://www.rabbitsonline.net/f14/harnesses-76866/

http://www.rabbitsonline.net/f14/questions-about-collars-harnesses-78859/

This page discusses some of the considerations for deciding when and how (or if) to take your rabbit outdoors -- either in the yard, or elsewhere:
https://rabbitsindoors.weebly.com/bringing-outside.html
Agreed!

ok plan is
Buy all supplies and set up
get 2 bunnies
leave them alone for 12-24h, then start letting them run in my room and bond
after a week, allow them to free roam all day.
feed them to a good alpha alpha based food (instead of the crapthe will probably be fed) (what is better, small pet select or oxbow) also should I feed unlimited food for babies?
Feed them unlimited hay and clean the litter box once a day.
Vaccinate and neuter
add veggies once they turn 3 months

ok plan is
get 2 bunnies
feed them to a good alpha alpha based food (instead of the crapthe will probably be fed) (what is better, small pet select or oxbow) also should I feed unlimited food for babies?
Vaccinate and neuter
You don’t need to get 2 bunnies if you don’t want to. It’s not really necessary because they have you but IF you want to you can! Don’t feel pressured. Ummm, you can figure out whether you want sps or oxbow.. I’ve heard bad things about both but I think it depends on the batch you get from them. I fed my bun bun unlimited pellets when he was younger but usually he ate 1/4 of a cup of alfalfa pellets twice a day. If I were you I would clean the litter box not super fast because then you’d be wasting a bunch of litter/bedding and the hay because they probably won’t eat a lot. You’ll know when it’s time to clean the litter box when it stinks or it’s heavier so.. yeah. And yes vaccinate and neuter/spay the buns. You can introduce veggies at three months but don’t feed them loads you have to give them a little bit because you won’t know they’ll react to it. Usually people don’t feed veggies to rabbits when they’re younger if anything I’ve seen that they wait till they’re older but what they told me is I could feed 1/2 of a cup to my bun. He gets two cups now since he is older but I think when I asked for advice he was around 4 months. Just watch your bunnies when they eat veggies. That is the advice I would give you. Im not sure what everyone else will say. When you look at the hay brands and look at the reviews and the description so you can see whether that hay is perfect for them.

It seems like you really are a lennon the bunny fan @BinkyLouie. She should get 2 bunnies and 2 adult bunnies at that.
I would get selective science for the food. unlimited till 5 months. Start feeding veggies at 6 months. Dont let the bunnies outside. You need them to get vaccinedted every year.

ok plan is
get 2 bunnies
Vaccinate and neuter
Be aware that if you get two rabbits, based on the plan you've outlined they need to be already bonded rabbits. This does not mean two young sibling rabbits-- this means two rabbits who are both already spayed/neutered and have been intentionally bonded by someone so it is safe for them to be together unsupervised.

It seems like you really are a lennon the bunny fan @BinkyLouie. She should get 2 bunnies and 2 adult bunnies at that.
I would get selective science for the food. unlimited till 5 months. Start feeding veggies at 6 months. Dont let the bunnies outside. You need them to get vaccinedted every year.
I’m not? I literally only have watched her for the litter box video.. you really shouldn’t be assuming things about people. You seem really bossy about things and I think you should provide advice but let her decide what she wants for her bunny? YOURE honestly making it more complicated than needed. I would understand getting 2 rabbits for an owner who won’t be home 24/7 or won’t be interacting with them 24/7 but if you are going to there’s no need for it. Especially when you’re gonna be spending double n stuff..

Be aware that if you get two rabbits, based on the plan you've outlined they need to be already bonded rabbits. This does not mean two young sibling rabbits-- this means two rabbits who are both already spayed/neutered and have been intentionally bonded by someone so it is safe for them to be together unsupervised.
It seems like her plan would work more for a single rabbit huh? I would assume it’s hard for people to bond rabbits especially if you don’t know how they will react to eachother.

Latest posts

Back