Hi! Future bunny mom-have some questions!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
1. Why?
2. Wrong.
I don’t understand what’s wrong with kaytee hay.. I haven’t had a problem with it. I’m not sure about the sps pellets because I haven’t looked at them or bought them. I know about sps because of Lennon the bunny and she wouldn’t recommend it if it was gonna hurt the bunny. SHES such a bunny nerd and you can tell based off her videos but I think everything SPS is great expect for the price. I wouldn’t buy but I do recommend!

A lot of that discussion about how much space or whatnot a rabbit needs is not so much about rabbits, but about what people would like to see if they had a say. That's fine as long as this is the bases for what they themself do (which isn't always the case, but what they would like to do), or suggestions about what other people with the same attitude towards pets are happy with, but get's problematic when it's all about telling other people what to do based on opinion and preferences, not so much facts.

There are quite some different ways to keep and feed rabbits that are imo ok, it's not rocket science, everyone needs to find his own working compromise - I sometimes get the feeling that there is quite an inflation of demands getting flaunted around.

Anyway, since you said that you've friends with rabbits I would think it would be a good idea to spend some thime there, just to help getting an idea about what you want, and how rabbits work as pets. Only knew one rat briefly, and that was a little different, liked being toted around in my friends hoody and so.
I just read your message did I get something wrong?

on’t understand what’s wrong with kaytee hay.. I haven’t had a problem with it. I’m not sure about the sps pellets because I haven’t looked at them or bought them. I know about sps because of Lennon the bunny and she wouldn’t recommend it if it was gonna hurt the bunny. SHES such a bunny nerd and you can tell based off her videos but I think everything SPS is great expect for the price. I wouldn’t buy but I do recommend!

That's the point about my previous post, about personal opinions thrown around as knowledgeable advise...

Lennon is kinda red flag for me. In german, there is a saying, "Das Gegenteil von gut ist gut gemeint", "The opposite of good is well-meant"....

That's the point about my previous post, about personal opinions thrown around as knowledgeable advise...

Lennon is kinda red flag for me. In german, there is a saying, "Das Gegenteil von gut ist gut gemeint", "The opposite of good is well-meant"....
Really! Why is that? I feel like she’s a really good rabbit owner. I mean if her rabbit is alive and well and happy shouldn’t that encourage people to look at her channel. Plus there aren’t a lot of rabbit channels that are any better. I feel like there’s a lot of inexperienced YouTube’s who just buy rabbits and then they die within a month or a few days. Sad to see. Anyways, she just has a strong look on cages. DOESNT like them and I agree. No rabbit should be caged. If it’s an xpen(she even says herself) it’s great just as long as it’s a good area. I think she makes herself very clear.

Lennon the Bunny has had some questionable advice. She is sponsored, which means she is getting paid to promote items--- never a good mix. And from what I can tell (last I looked), it appears she is basing all of her "experience" on a single rabbit she's had. Those of us who have had many rabbits over many years have, I think, a better understanding of just how different each rabbit can be. So while she does have quite a bit of good advice, it is not all roses.

Thank you! I personally love lennons care vids, But I will be aware of wha yall said. Also I'm going shopping rn for same supplies. I am leaving for a vacation for a month, but when I come bach, I can get the bunnies!

Most of that stuff looks good. Not the harness though. It can break the rabbit's back/spine. If you want more information on that go watch My Pawfect Family.
The reason Lennon the bunny is not the best is because...
She only has one rabbit and she doesn't promote getting 2
She takes her bunny into places with a ton of people, which can stress bunnies out
Since she takes her bunny into public places it encourages others to do it, leaving bunnies scared
She promotes taking her bunny to a pet store (don't do this because of all the dogs barking and the different smells, It will freak your rabbit out)
She promotes closed litter boxes which can lead to respiratory issues in your rabbit. (rabbits have very sensitive lungs)
She promotes spring mix, which honesty, isn't the best for your bunny IMO, but that's another topic.
She promotes free-roaming for every bunny. Not every bunny is good with free-roaming, some are more outgoing, some are scared by a lot of things.
She promotes harness
and much more..
Dont get me wrong, she helped the rabbit community get to where it is today, but there are better channels for rabbit care
If you want information on Sherwood pellets @Preitler watch Ohio holland lops on youtube

I do not know about Kaytee hay, I just know Katyee as a company is terrible! They sell bad treats and unhealthy toys.
Kaytee adds fillers to there toys in treats with tons of sweeteners. They also have inhumane breeding farms for birds. They also sell yogert drops, which are extremely unhealthy for rabbits. They include dairy, which any small pet CANNOT eat.

Rabbit Food Comparision - Brand, Type, Nutritional Analysis
I would read that for the food comparison, it shows why SPS food is not the best. For Sherwood on that list, they changed their formula, so it is better and does not include alfalfa.
"
Kaytee pellets are heavy on corn. Corn is a low quality ingredient that encourages fat storage. That's why it's fed to cattle for the fat marbling effect in the meat. An oil is even used to make the fat potential worse. Given the short ingredients list aside from majority of it being corn there is also a lot of molasses and salt. Ethoxyquin is dangerous to the point it is not allowed in human food and I believe not for feeding to several animals used as human food. That is pretty much all that makes up this food. The rest is a multivitamin/mineral mix you could go buy for any type of animal. As pointed out the mix may not even be suitable for more specific guinea pig needs like calcium if we were to look at the nutritional analysis. Vit c in these cheaper foods also tends to be less stable and less guaranteed to meet guinea pig needs. The supreme diet pellets contain fish meal. Meat most definitely does not belong in guinea pig food. Fish not intended for human use is already treated with ethoxyquin before transport.

Overall kaytee has just proven over and over again that they value cheap materials for a higher profit over health of peoples' pets. The ingredient quality is always up for question even in the ingredient that seem ok on paper and many of their other products are downright dangerous." - source ( General Why is Kaytee such a bad brand?. )

Gack! I bragged about Kaytee hay the other day, but I'm halfway through my last bag and the hay in the middle is awful. The other bags were fine, and this one looked fine from the outside. You never can tell completely, no matter what the brand, since you can't see what the whole bag looks like. Still, I usually do find with being picky and choosing bags that look green and fresh from the outside. -(source is the same)
make sure you do the change very gradually. i honestly dont think this is the best food for them tho. kaytee is widely known as crap. but i dont know
I've seen some people from the HRS Facebook group say that they avoid Kaytee because a lot of their products are not the best for rabbits. Does this include their chew-a-bowl? I'm going to assume yes because ingredients include potato starch and honey?
I bought a bag of Kaytee Timothy Hay for my bunsand when I opened it I even thought to myself it looked and feltdifferent than usual. I can't explain the difference but my rabbitshave not put a dent in thebag. The same hay I put down in themorning is still there in the night. They are eating pellets and freshveggies but I know how important the hay is. Do you think the petstorewould take it back?
I've heard of people getting MOLDY hay and then old hay and having found things in their hay.

I buy oxbow and it's always good if I get it from a good petstore or the vet. I can order it as well.

I open and smell the hay no matter what/where/etc. If thestore doesn't like it..... I'll take my business elsewhere.

The petstore should take it back with a receipt.
I actually quit using the Kaytee. It wasalways dry and always brown...always yucky.I realized I wasthrowing money away. I lucked out and found a farmer. I now pay next tonothing for a square bale of fresh Timothy. I love that it's so freshand Apollo just plain loves it. I don't think I will buy store boughtany more.

Tina
I didn't even realize how bad the hay I wasgetting for Wrigley was until I ordered Oxbow hay and it was actuallygreen! :shock: lol

Jenn
Hi everyone I too has had a lot of problems with timothy hay KAYTEE brand. I buy them at petsmart store in Tsawwassen BRITISH Columbia Canada and this has been going on for a month I have actually had returned 2 bags the last two weeks because the manufacturer is cheating they put some nice ones only on the top but if you go through the bag its all dust *m not feeding my bunny with dust.

The store manager and the racist staff is hesitant to do the return. Someone assisted me for the return and gave me my money back. I tried to buy one bag the wayfair cut whip is better than the last two bags that I returned, however, it has this awful odor.

Kaytee brand timothy hay is not good and we need to inform the manufacturer if we want this improved. For many years I had been using the CAREFRESH BRAND unfortunately its been discontinued. This always smells nice and I never had any problems with it. The OXBOX BRAND is very bad too! In 2013, I started buying them and my rabbit developed a skin itchiness and I too has had it on my chest, its was very itchy and I had to go to the hospital emergency for the itching. Since then I switch to the CAREFRESH BRAND WHICH WAS THE BEST, unfortunately its been discontinued.

ALICIA
There's ALL kinds of red flags in there. I wouldn't give that guano to LB. It'd go right in the trash.

Actually, if it says Kaytee on it, I believe most any knowledged person walks the other way.
"not all are bad but the brand itself doesn't seem to know much about rabbits" -im not aloud to quote anymore haha
I would watch these channels

These people seem like they know what they are doing. So I would watch them.
https://www.youtube.com/c/TheBunnyLady/videos*** Watch like all her videos
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCX3hqxoTdrC4hkDU-0LMrewhttps://www.youtube.com/channel/UChhM7aLCMImtZoF2edIHSFQhttps://www.youtube.com/channel/UCs6jf78kza5iaJIJaYrNJ6ghttps://www.youtube.com/user/101rabbitshttps://www.youtube.com/user/abbysrabbitcare101
I would watch these videos

Scatter Feeding 101| The Best Way to Feed Your Rabbit| Preventing Food Aggression| MyPawfectFamily
DO RABBIT HIDES NEED MULTIPLE ENTRANCES| covered litterboxes| rabbit hide dangers| My Pawfect Family
Covered Litter Boxes For Rabbits| Potential Dangers and Why Not to Use Them| My Pawfect Family
Hoppy Hour| What is it and Should I go?| Rabbit Socialization Events| My Pawfect Family
5 RABBITS NOT SUITED TO FREE ROAM| can I freeroam my rabbit| free roam rabbits| My Pawfect Family
WANT A SECOND RABBIT... NOW WHAT?| preparing for a bunny| second rabbit checklist| My Pawfect Family
RABBIT PROOFING DOESN'T WORK| truth about rabbit proofing| freeroaming myths| MyPawfectFamily

For bonding watch these videos
Bonding Rabbits *What no one tells you*
FIGHTING RABBITS *why they fight and what to do about it*
STOP BUYING SINGLE RABBITS| why you shouldn't have 1 bunny| bonding rabbits |MyPawfectFamily
Can Rabbits Live Alone| Bonded Pairs vs Single Rabbits| Should I Get a Second Bunny| MyPawfectFamily
HOW TO BOND RABBITS | Bonding my all male trio

I don’t understand what’s wrong with kaytee hay.. I haven’t had a problem with it. I’m not sure about the sps pellets because I haven’t looked at them or bought them. I know about sps because of Lennon the bunny and she wouldn’t recommend it if it was gonna hurt the bunny. SHES such a bunny nerd and you can tell based off her videos but I think everything SPS is great expect for the price. I wouldn’t buy but I do recommend!
I just read your message did I get something wrong?

Really! Why is that? I feel like she’s a really good rabbit owner. I mean if her rabbit is alive and well and happy shouldn’t that encourage people to look at her channel. Plus there aren’t a lot of rabbit channels that are any better. I feel like there’s a lot of inexperienced YouTube’s who just buy rabbits and then they die within a month or a few days. Sad to see. Anyways, she just has a strong look on cages. DOESNT like them and I agree. No rabbit should be caged. If it’s an xpen(she even says herself) it’s great just as long as it’s a good area. I think she makes herself very clear.
Lennon the Bunny has had some questionable advice. She is sponsored, which means she is getting paid to promote items--- never a good mix. And from what I can tell (last I looked), it appears she is basing all of her "experience" on a single rabbit she's had. Those of us who have had many rabbits over many years have, I think, a better understanding of just how different each rabbit can be. So while she does have quite a bit of good advice, it is not all roses.
Most of that stuff looks good. Not the harness though. It can break the rabbit's back/spine. If you want more information on that go watch My Pawfect Family.
The reason Lennon the bunny is not the best is because...
She only has one rabbit and she doesn't promote getting 2
She takes her bunny into places with a ton of people, which can stress bunnies out
Since she takes her bunny into public places it encourages others to do it, leaving bunnies scared
She promotes taking her bunny to a pet store (don't do this because of all the dogs barking and the different smells, It will freak your rabbit out)
She promotes closed litter boxes which can lead to respiratory issues in your rabbit. (rabbits have very sensitive lungs)
She promotes spring mix, which honesty, isn't the best for your bunny IMO, but that's another topic.
She promotes free-roaming for every bunny. Not every bunny is good with free-roaming, some are more outgoing, some are scared by a lot of things.
She promotes harness
and much more..
Dont get me wrong, she helped the rabbit community get to where it is today, but there are better channels for rabbit care
If you want information on Sherwood pellets @Preitler watch Ohio holland lops on youtube

I do not know about Kaytee hay, I just know Katyee as a company is terrible! They sell bad treats and unhealthy toys.
Kaytee adds fillers to there toys in treats with tons of sweeteners. They also have inhumane breeding farms for birds. They also sell yogert drops, which are extremely unhealthy for rabbits. They include dairy, which any small pet CANNOT eat.

Rabbit Food Comparision - Brand, Type, Nutritional Analysis
I would read that for the food comparison, it shows why SPS food is not the best. For Sherwood on that list, they changed their formula, so it is better and does not include alfalfa.
"
Kaytee pellets are heavy on corn. Corn is a low quality ingredient that encourages fat storage. That's why it's fed to cattle for the fat marbling effect in the meat. An oil is even used to make the fat potential worse. Given the short ingredients list aside from majority of it being corn there is also a lot of molasses and salt. Ethoxyquin is dangerous to the point it is not allowed in human food and I believe not for feeding to several animals used as human food. That is pretty much all that makes up this food. The rest is a multivitamin/mineral mix you could go buy for any type of animal. As pointed out the mix may not even be suitable for more specific guinea pig needs like calcium if we were to look at the nutritional analysis. Vit c in these cheaper foods also tends to be less stable and less guaranteed to meet guinea pig needs. The supreme diet pellets contain fish meal. Meat most definitely does not belong in guinea pig food. Fish not intended for human use is already treated with ethoxyquin before transport.

Overall kaytee has just proven over and over again that they value cheap materials for a higher profit over health of peoples' pets. The ingredient quality is always up for question even in the ingredient that seem ok on paper and many of their other products are downright dangerous." - source ( General Why is Kaytee such a bad brand?. )

Gack! I bragged about Kaytee hay the other day, but I'm halfway through my last bag and the hay in the middle is awful. The other bags were fine, and this one looked fine from the outside. You never can tell completely, no matter what the brand, since you can't see what the whole bag looks like. Still, I usually do find with being picky and choosing bags that look green and fresh from the outside. -(source is the same)

"not all are bad but the brand itself doesn't seem to know much about rabbits" -im not aloud to quote anymore haha
I would watch these channels

These people seem like they know what they are doing. So I would watch them.
https://www.youtube.com/c/TheBunnyLady/videos*** Watch like all her videos
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCX3hqxoTdrC4hkDU-0LMrewhttps://www.youtube.com/channel/UChhM7aLCMImtZoF2edIHSFQhttps://www.youtube.com/channel/UCs6jf78kza5iaJIJaYrNJ6ghttps://www.youtube.com/user/101rabbitshttps://www.youtube.com/user/abbysrabbitcare101
I would watch these videos

Scatter Feeding 101| The Best Way to Feed Your Rabbit| Preventing Food Aggression| MyPawfectFamily
DO RABBIT HIDES NEED MULTIPLE ENTRANCES| covered litterboxes| rabbit hide dangers| My Pawfect Family
Covered Litter Boxes For Rabbits| Potential Dangers and Why Not to Use Them| My Pawfect Family
Hoppy Hour| What is it and Should I go?| Rabbit Socialization Events| My Pawfect Family
5 RABBITS NOT SUITED TO FREE ROAM| can I freeroam my rabbit| free roam rabbits| My Pawfect Family
WANT A SECOND RABBIT... NOW WHAT?| preparing for a bunny| second rabbit checklist| My Pawfect Family
RABBIT PROOFING DOESN'T WORK| truth about rabbit proofing| freeroaming myths| MyPawfectFamily

For bonding watch these videos
Bonding Rabbits *What no one tells you*
FIGHTING RABBITS *why they fight and what to do about it*
STOP BUYING SINGLE RABBITS| why you shouldn't have 1 bunny| bonding rabbits |MyPawfectFamily
Can Rabbits Live Alone| Bonded Pairs vs Single Rabbits| Should I Get a Second Bunny| MyPawfectFamily
HOW TO BOND RABBITS | Bonding my all male trio

thanks!

I think those things are great that you bought her. Have you seen those willow balls? Those my rabbit loves lol I would see if your rabbit likes those as it is basically a twig rabbits like to chew on that stuff. If you want to buy a harness you can I would just be careful when your rabbit runs because it can possibly hurt them so if you can maybe attach a long lace so they can run without being held back in your yard or wherever. I just WOULDNT use the harness to take them out for a walk in the sidewalk or the park. Only do it in your backyard or front yard where there is grass. They will enjoy dandelions and the grass.

I think those things are great that you bought her. Have you seen those willow balls? Those my rabbit loves lol I would see if your rabbit likes those as it is basically a twig rabbits like to chew on that stuff. If you want to buy a harness you can I would just be careful when your rabbit runs because it can possibly hurt them so if you can maybe attach a long lace so they can run without being held back in your yard or wherever. I just WOULDNT use the harness to take them out for a walk in the sidewalk or the park. Only do it in your backyard or front yard where there is grass. They will enjoy dandelions and the grass.
I only plan on using in the yard, at rabbitdates,and bunnyfests

Yard sounds good and so does the rabbit dates. I would just be careful about how your rabbit acts around other bunnies. Just keep that in mind I would research that or ask someone about that. What do you mean by bunny fests?
Its basicly a huge party where people bring there buns, sell hay, food toys, etc

Thats another reason why I dont love Lennon the bunny,
she promotes Bunfest. I WOULD NOT go to Bunfest, your bunny could get sick,(from other bunnies, can get RHDV2 which is fatal in rabbits) stressed, and even pass away of shock. It could hurt another bunny, or another bunny could hurt your bunny. It seems like you want a social animal that you can take to see other social animals, I would get a dog.

edit: Please don't take your bunny on bunny dates, unless you plan to bond them. It can break your bond, cause fights, get your rabbits sick, send your rabbits into GI stais, lose your rabbits trust, among a host of other things. I think a rabbit is not the best pet per say for your living situation

she promotes Bunfest. I WOULD NOT go to Bunfest, your bunny could get sick,(from other bunnies, can get RHDV2 which is fatal in rabbits) stressed, and even pass away of shock. It could hurt another bunny, or another bunny could hurt your bunny. It seems like you want a social animal that you can take to see other social animals, I would get a dog.
Yeah I agree with this. You can go the bunfest by yourself but I wouldn’t recommend taking your honey with you. I think it would be difficult for her to deal with everything.

Yard sounds good and so does the rabbit dates. I would just be careful about how your rabbit acts around other bunnies. Just keep that in mind I would research that or ask someone about that. What do you mean by bunny fests?

edit: Please don't take your bunny on bunny dates, unless you plan to bond them. It can break your bond, cause fights, get your rabbits sick, send your rabbits into GI stais, lose your rabbits trust, among a host of other things. I think a rabbit is not the best pet per say for your living situation
Yeah I agree with this. You can go the bunfest by yourself but I wouldn’t recommend taking your honey with you. I think it would be difficult for her to deal with everything.
Ok no bunny fest or bunnydates

lennon the bunny

I would be cautious with Lennon the Bunny. She does have good advice & tips, but she is also quite biased. Lennon has been raised as a kit and is rigorously trained in a way that many rabbits aren't. Lorelai (the host) hasn't necessarily had the experience of owning multiple rabbits, so the advice she gives is mainly based off of her experience with Lennon, which is much different from that of a typical pet rabbit

Hi, kaytee hay ISNT all that bad. Actually if you get the wafer cut Timothy hay from kaytee it comes with layers of strands. I’ve had a good experience so far buying that specific hay from and I apologize if it’s different for you. Let me snap a pic for you! Also I bought my bun two bags of this and I still haven’t finished one. I’ve had one bag for about 1-3 weeks. It’s a good money saver. About small pet select.. the hay is good it’s excellent but it’s kind of pricy. Mostly everything is there so I decided to just buy that hay I just showed you.
I still don't think it is good. I could be completely wrong. I think if you get a cheep price then it sometimes is not good. We will see what happens with your bunny the next few weeks. (Not saying something will happen) :)

Latest posts

Back