Hi! Future bunny mom-have some questions!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Is it better for them to live inside or outside?
10000000000% inside!!! Please don't get a rabbit if you want to house them outside :(. I understand if you already had a raabbit and you didnt know they were supposed to be inside, but buying a rabbit and knowing you cant keep them inside is irrespossible.

No, it isn't irresposible, and no, they aren't "supposed" to be just inside. The vast majority lives outside, indoor bunnies are a rather recent hype but over represented in social media.
Depending on climate (they don't cope well with heat, guess that is an issue in CA), local predators (there are way more teeth and claws in the US than here), etc. it can be way more work, investment and preperation to get it right. It's imo even more work to care for them every day outside. Other than that, rabbits can be perfectly fine outdoors. Mine definitly are. But I'm not going to say the way I keep my rabbits is the right way for everyone, it isn't.
I wouldn't keep a single rabbit outdoors though where it would be alone the whole day, they are social animals after all.

I prefer local sources to buy stuff, I can't wrap my head around the now pretty normal decadence to have simple stuff shipped around half the globe. In my opinion most of the discussion about pellet brands is pretty pointless, it doesn't matter much for pets if they are of decent quality (some grain or soy in it doesn't matter either) since it's just a supplement to the diet, it is somewhat different when breeding and raising for a goal like show or wool, or performence, but that's a different story.

Attachments

• Ruth and Chantal.jpg
    Ruth and Chantal.jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 5
yes, in their it would irresponsible. I was not saying around the world. In CA it is hot, and there are a lot of preditors, I know In other areas it is better to keep them outside, but not in the us

My bunnies live outside and are very happy. My climate is mostly cold and in summer it's easy enough to keep them cool as it normally only reaches 30-35 degrees Celsius and then I just put them in the shade. But if I could I would let them live inside but that's not an option due to our big dog so instead they have VERY large walk-in runs outside that they are in 12 hours+ then shut in their cages for safety. Cats are the only predators we have in the city and they wouldn't be able to take down my big FG girl but it's better to be safe then sorry. What I love about them being outside is that their space is not compromised at all and they can dig in the dirt so I don't have to trim their nails. But if you have the option then it would be good to let your bun live inside. You will have more opportunities to spend time with them and it will be easier to monitor their health.
I feed my bunnies pellets and hay from the local feed store and I've never had a problem with moldy hay and even though the pellets are probably not the best quality they are only given a small amount and I feed them a variety of greens for extra nutrients. Get what you can and so long as your pellets aren't full of colourful bits and pieces then it will probably be fine if used as a treat and not a main part of their diet.
I hope you aren't put off having bunnies yet! I know it sounds like you might not be able to have everything perfect but if your bun is loved, given space to be a rabbit, has access to vet care, and given access to healthy food and ample hay then that's the best you can do and your bun will be happy. If you don't think you provide a happy environment for a bun then it's probably best not to get one. But having a healthy happy bunny isn't all about the expensive toys or food. They just need space and love and a full tum.

10000000000% inside!!! Please don't get a rabbit if you want to house them outside :(. I understand if you already had a raabbit and you didnt know they were supposed to be inside, but buying a rabbit and knowing you cant keep them inside is irrespossible.
No, it isn't irresposible, and no, they aren't "supposed" to be just inside. The vast majority lives outside, indoor bunnies are a rather recent hype but over represented in social media.
Depending on climate (they don't cope well with heat, guess that is an issue in CA), local predators (there are way more teeth and claws in the US than here), etc. it can be way more work, investment and preperation to get it right. It's imo even more work to care for them every day outside. Other than that, rabbits can be perfectly fine outdoors. Mine definitly are. But I'm not going to say the way I keep my rabbits is the right way for everyone, it isn't.
I wouldn't keep a single rabbit outdoors though where it would be alone the whole day, they are social animals after all.

I prefer local sources to buy stuff, I can't wrap my head around the now pretty normal decadence to have simple stuff shipped around half the globe. In my opinion most of the discussion about pellet brands is pretty pointless, it doesn't matter much for pets if they are of decent quality (some grain or soy in it doesn't matter either) since it's just a supplement to the diet, it is somewhat different when breeding and raising for a goal like show or wool, or performence, but that's a different story.
yes, in their it would irresponsible. I was not saying around the world. In CA it is hot, and there are a lot of preditors, I know In other areas it is better to keep them outside, but not in the us
My bunnies live outside and are very happy. My climate is mostly cold and in summer it's easy enough to keep them cool as it normally only reaches 30-35 degrees Celsius and then I just put them in the shade. But if I could I would let them live inside but that's not an option due to our big dog so instead they have VERY large walk-in runs outside that they are in 12 hours+ then shut in their cages for safety. Cats are the only predators we have in the city and they wouldn't be able to take down my big FG girl but it's better to be safe then sorry. What I love about them being outside is that their space is not compromised at all and they can dig in the dirt so I don't have to trim their nails. But if you have the option then it would be good to let your bun live inside. You will have more opportunities to spend time with them and it will be easier to monitor their health.
I feed my bunnies pellets and hay from the local feed store and I've never had a problem with moldy hay and even though the pellets are probably not the best quality they are only given a small amount and I feed them a variety of greens for extra nutrients. Get what you can and so long as your pellets aren't full of colourful bits and pieces then it will probably be fine if used as a treat and not a main part of their diet.
I hope you aren't put off having bunnies yet! I know it sounds like you might not be able to have everything perfect but if your bun is loved, given space to be a rabbit, has access to vet care, and given access to healthy food and ample hay then that's the best you can do and your bun will be happy. If you don't think you provide a happy environment for a bun then it's probably best not to get one. But having a healthy happy bunny isn't all about the expensive toys or food. They just need space and love and a full tum.
Thanks, inside bc it gets to 90 during the summer. Here is the edited list- (back to cnc cage)
Cage-$51 (dimensions will be 41 by 84)
Food-$10
Brush-$20
Hay from Pet store
food and water bowl-$9 (or $1 in DT)
Rabbit chew set $14
Nail trimmer $4 (or $1 in DT)
Timothy treat $1
Rabbit treat toy for fun food $8
Circle tunnel $35
Hay hide $14
Litter box and wood balls at DT.
(DT is dollor tree)

litter box is great from dollar tree,
the balls not so much.
you can maybe get the wooden cars, but I’d still not trust it.
i would just get a water bowl (not from dollar tree, a cermaic bowl is good)
nail trimmers from dollar tree are great, I do recommend them.
I’d recommend these pellets Science select
I’d get these toys Ball set, Stacking cups, Foraging mat,Treat ball
this could be a cute water dish Water bowl
your brush is good
treats are not good, Kay tee is not a trusted brand, here is some amazing healthy treats! Healthy treats
rabbits love tunnels! But the one you Provided only shows one entrance/exit, here’s a few good ones Tunnel 1,Tunnel 2,Tunnel 3, Tunnel 4
you can get tunnel 4 at ikea for much cheaper (aka $7)
Hay hide is good, you can get the exact same thing on chewy for cheaper though
heres some good hayHay Mix I would get this hay, it is good quailty, you can see what your rabbit likes best, also the more types of hay the more enrichment for your rabbit, which is super important, and IMO fundamental to a rabbits life.
this took me a long time to write, please take this into consideration,

There's a lot of cleaning aspects that might not have been addressed.

White vinegar + water can be put in a spray bottle and used to clean litter boxes and accidents.
If you don't want to go through paper towels all the time for routine cleaning, you can have specific rabbit-related cleaning towels and can buy a separate laundry bag to keep the soiled ones and wash them separately from the rest of your laundry.

Hay hurts. At least me. I have garden gloves to interact with hay so I don't get stabbed. You likely have a face mask or two at this point, which is helpful to wear when interacting with hay in case you have allergy or irritation from it.

I don't think there has been specific mention of litter for the litterboxes? You don't need litter but I personally find it helpful. Many people use the stall pellets from Tractor Supply. I have a litter screen made from plastic knitting mesh to sit on top that is cleaned every day when I refresh the litter boxes. Some people use paper-based litters though the absorbency is generally not as good as other alternatives.

A small vacuum or dust pan can be helpful for hay, which will inevitably get... everywhere.

I would recommend having a separate trashcan for rabbit trash-- not a small office one, but a large one. It's just easier to have everything in a "station" and you don't need to go back and forth with a kitchen trashcan or something like that.

For the bowls listed, my reaction is that looks very flippable due to the lips on the side. Rabbits flipping and spilling water bowls is quite common. A rabbit may or may not be inclined to do it. One of mine would while the other wouldn't I'd say. Just something to keep in mind.

I personally haven't had good experiences with that amazon toy ball -- there's a lip inside that makes it hard to dispense the last few pellets or whatever you put inside. I think this goes into the larger understanding that toys you buy may not be used by your rabbit and feeling OK with that. It may take a bit to find what toys a rabbit is inclined to use to expend energy.

@John Wick Thanks that will help them. I 100% agree with the trashcan part, and yes, I also get stabbed by hay! Its painful. I love tractor supply litter. With the amazon treat ball, it's my rabbit all-time favorite! I think it is worth the money, also makes it more enriching!

Thanks, I did, look at the list
litter box is great from dollar tree,
the balls not so much.
you can maybe get the wooden cars, but I’d still not trust it.
i would just get a water bowl (not from dollar tree, a cermaic bowl is good)
nail trimmers from dollar tree are great, I do recommend them.
I’d recommend these pellets Science select
I’d get these toys Ball set, Stacking cups, Foraging mat,Treat ball
this could be a cute water dish Water bowl
your brush is good
treats are not good, Kay tee is not a trusted brand, here is some amazing healthy treats! Healthy treats
rabbits love tunnels! But the one you Provided only shows one entrance/exit, here’s a few good ones Tunnel 1,Tunnel 2,Tunnel 3, Tunnel 4
you can get tunnel 4 at ikea for much cheaper (aka $7)
Hay hide is good, you can get the exact same thing on chewy for cheaper though
heres some good hayHay Mix I would get this hay, it is good quailty, you can see what your rabbit likes best, also the more types of hay the more enrichment for your rabbit, which is super important, and IMO fundamental to a rabbits life.
this took me a long time to write, please take this into consideration,
Thanks, I did, look at the list!
There's a lot of cleaning aspects that might not have been addressed.

White vinegar + water can be put in a spray bottle and used to clean litter boxes and accidents.
If you don't want to go through paper towels all the time for routine cleaning, you can have specific rabbit-related cleaning towels and can buy a separate laundry bag to keep the soiled ones and wash them separately from the rest of your laundry.

Hay hurts. At least me. I have garden gloves to interact with hay so I don't get stabbed. You likely have a face mask or two at this point, which is helpful to wear when interacting with hay in case you have allergy or irritation from it.

I don't think there has been specific mention of litter for the litterboxes? You don't need litter but I personally find it helpful. Many people use the stall pellets from Tractor Supply. I have a litter screen made from plastic knitting mesh to sit on top that is cleaned every day when I refresh the litter boxes. Some people use paper-based litters though the absorbency is generally not as good as other alternatives.

A small vacuum or dust pan can be helpful for hay, which will inevitably get... everywhere.

I would recommend having a separate trashcan for rabbit trash-- not a small office one, but a large one. It's just easier to have everything in a "station" and you don't need to go back and forth with a kitchen trashcan or something like that.

For the bowls listed, my reaction is that looks very flippable due to the lips on the side. Rabbits flipping and spilling water bowls is quite common. A rabbit may or may not be inclined to do it. One of mine would while the other wouldn't I'd say. Just something to keep in mind.

I personally haven't had good experiences with that amazon toy ball -- there's a lip inside that makes it hard to dispense the last few pellets or whatever you put inside. I think this goes into the larger understanding that toys you buy may not be used by your rabbit and feeling OK with that. It may take a bit to find what toys a rabbit is inclined to use to expend energy.
I have a bin I put up for hay and supplies! And I don't have an allergy bc my friend has guinea pigs and I've helped her feed them hey.
@John Wick Thanks that will help them. I 100% agree with the trashcan part, and yes, I also get stabbed by hay! Its painful. I love tractor supply litter. With the amazon treat ball, it's my rabbit all-time favorite! I think it is worth the money, also makes it more enriching!
Yes, I got the ball! Also, a friend already gave me three bags of yesterday's news litter.

List update:
Cage-$51
Food-$15
Brush-$20
Hay from Pet store
food and water bowl-$9
Nail clippers from DT
Ball set $14
Foraging mat $20
Rabbit treat ball for fun food $8
Rabbit treats $10
Hay hide $14
Tunnel $20
Litter box at DT.
Plus a diy bed and diy toys and a diy mat!

Attachments

• IMG_20210605_081404.jpg
    IMG_20210605_081404.jpg
    110.4 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_20210605_081420.jpg
    IMG_20210605_081420.jpg
    146.9 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_20210605_081445.jpg
    IMG_20210605_081445.jpg
    126.2 KB · Views: 4
KROLIK 200 Ferplast | Ferplast Official
Can you see this picture?
That is too small.

Here's my setup

Your bunny looks almost like my Red (sorry for offtopic ;) )

Big enough..., that's a difficult question. As I have learned it's what you are comfortable with, and a lot of rabbit owners realize that they are not happy with a cage that seemed sufficient at first. Gosh - I'm at the 4th iteration of building hutches. I mean, countrary to keeping rabbits as lifestock we have pets to enjoy all their potential, and IMHO in that regard a cage just doesn't cut it. I do both, pets and lifestock, and even my smallest hutch is 2,7m x 0,8m (106"x32") with at least some hours garden time each day. My house bunnys don't have any cage or so, they just have to be inside the house during the night.
So, that cage isn't small, or too small for a rabbit per se. But a pen simply offers more options, and I've seen quite some people realizing that there is more and the cage is just a home base and changed to a pen or free roam. It's also about interaction with the rabbit- you can sit in a pen with the rabbit, a cage imo is more likely concieved as their territory, and you are an accepted invader.

It would be good if people would speak up here who actually have indoor rabbits in cages, would be different opinions than from us guys who don't do it that way :).

Attachments

• Kleine rote.jpg
    Kleine rote.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 3
  • Schnee5.jpg
    Schnee5.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 4
  • Red and Fury 2020.jpg
    Red and Fury 2020.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
@Preitler He does look like red!
Peanut is never locked up in his cage, ever!
At night I set up an xpen or 2 around the cage so he can binky!
The grey cage is huge, and an amazing cage or homebase.
It keeps everything clean, easy to clean, I love it! It really works for me
@Preitler what breed and coloring is your rabbit?
Peanut was from a rescue, told me he was a mix netherland

Latest posts

Back