Hi Bunny Friends...Im back

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shawnna

Reaction score
Hey all, sorry have not been around, really struggling with losing D'jango. Now today I have a new concern, My old bun Sunday. I noticed he had a part of a squishy stuck to his tail. Took him into bathroom to clean it up and saw that thick hard what I call pee crust had formed in the areas where his testicles would of been, have had this prob all his life. So when I went to clean that off, in doing so some pus came out of the area around his penis, not sure what the word is, but it was not from inside his penis, the area that the penis is at, sheath maybe? I then ran warm water over it and it must of been itchy because he started licking my arm super fast. I took a soft rag(yes had gloves on, strong stomach that I have this totally grosses me out) and wiped off the crust and the pus. Gobs more came out and it was not the usual thick hard pus that rabbits normally have, it was well goopy? Area was slightly swollen, Anyways when all the pus was flushed out, it was many on one side of that pocket around his penis. No pus or blood came out the end.

Hate asking but is this possibly cancer or maybe something he did jumping in and out of potty box? The vet I found that takes emergency rabbits is an hour away and he is 12. Im worried about the stress from such a long car ride. He doesnt mind the ride but never has spent that long at once in the car.

It is 1am in California and I first saw this about 5 pm today and it has not gotten worse or filled back up. He is eating, pooping like normal.

I just cannot handle it right now if I lost another bun so close to losing one already. Thank you all

Hi, can we get some pics if possible?
From your description it sounds like there's lots of pus and it is all swollen, I think you did good that rinsed it I can't diagnose without even seen this but what I would do anyway I would make a compress with camomile or just tea (I don't know what other herbs you may have so just mention most common people often have at hand). This would just clean it, disinfect and will help with reducing swelling. If it's just something got in

(like one of my rabbits Peter has long hair on his belly and after his multiple attempts on mating his bonding partner he's got some hair in and it was also a little swollen but I was able to fix it easily by removing the fluff and cleaning with chamomile tea, I did like every few hours and after 2-3 compresses it was back to normal. No pus because it wasn't there for long but it would also help with pus if there's any.)

it should fix the problem, it it is something more serious it will help to see more clearly what the problem is because the whole situation will be better so when you go to vets they will be able to see it more clearly.

I wouldn't think cancer. Sounds like a burst abscess. So vet, to get it all cleaned out(which you will probably be instructed on doing daily, the proper rabbit safe antibiotic, and possibly pain meds/anti inflammatory. As long as he is still eating, drinking, pooping, and urinating normally, I would think that waiting until tomorrow wouldn't be a problem, and just call them up first thing. Since the abscess has burst, that should help some.

http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/Skin_diseases/Bacterial/Abscess/skin_abscess.htm (skin abscesses in rabbits)

http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/Skin_diseases/Bacterial/Absc_treat/abscess_treat.htm (abscess management)

https://rabbit.org/vet-listings/

I wouldn't think cancer. Sounds like a burst abscess. So vet, to get it all cleaned out(which you will probably be instructed on doing daily, the proper rabbit safe antibiotic, and possibly pain meds/anti inflammatory. As long as he is still eating, drinking, pooping, and urinating normally, I would think that waiting until tomorrow wouldn't be a problem, and just call them up first thing. Since the abscess has burst, that should help some.

http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/Skin_diseases/Bacterial/Abscess/skin_abscess.htm (skin abscesses in rabbits)

http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/Skin_diseases/Bacterial/Absc_treat/abscess_treat.htm (abscess management)

Hi, can we get some pics if possible?
From your description it sounds like there's lots of pus and it is all swollen, I think you did good that rinsed it I can't diagnose without even seen this but what I would do anyway I would make a compress with camomile or just tea (I don't know what other herbs you may have so just mention most common people often have at hand). This would just clean it, disinfect and will help with reducing swelling. If it's just something got in

(like one of my rabbits Peter has long hair on his belly and after his multiple attempts on mating his bonding partner he's got some hair in and it was also a little swollen but I was able to fix it easily by removing the fluff and cleaning with chamomile tea, I did like every few hours and after 2-3 compresses it was back to normal. No pus because it wasn't there for long but it would also help with pus if there's any.)

it should fix the problem, it it is something more serious it will help to see more clearly what the problem is because the whole situation will be better so when you go to vets they will be able to see it more clearly.
I can try and get pics, he isnt exactly easy to hold with one hand and take pics with the other, lol.

Today no swelling, just a little redness, washed and disinfected 3x just to be sure it was flushed out. IDK if it was an abscess, seemed like a big juicy pimple on a teenagers chin. lol. Dealt with them before. Acting normal for him. Cant get to the vet today, clogged fuel injector and misfire in car. ugh need a break!!

Thank you, I have actually printed that out a while back!! Appreciate this tho!!

Ok so the pic thing lol a no go, random photos of various things but not what I was going for! Been two days, doing all the normal bun things and very active, which is a bit unusual for him because he is mostly lazy. I did get a magnifying glass for a close up look and saw a small scratch that might be the cause. Only things I could think of that caused this was either out on the deck and got a splinter or jumping in and out of his potty box and maybe splinter from shavings? IDK no pus no oozing not red or swollen at all. So will keep checking and rinsing it off daily to make sure its not gross like it was.

Good to hear he's better, well done to you. Just keep it clean and check sometimes I check them at least once a week but where I know Peter gets checked twice a week or more often when he lived with his partner, when he is alone he cleans himself well but as I said, he has longish hair on his belly so sometimes his fluff just gets inside.

@zuppa because he was an orphan at 3 weeks, he did not even know he was a bunny until over a year old when we got Mazy. I was always having to clean his ears, toes etc for him and even tho I tried to emulate a rabbit doing that, he just was like what the heck are you doing? When we got Mazy I noticed him watching her one day while she groomed herself. He tried to do his ears and almost tipped over lol. But he slowly got the hang of it. When he was around 6 years old he passed a stone and I took him to the vet then, and he tried to tell me it was not a kidney stone but one from his digestive track, cant recall what he called it. I know it was not because it was stuck and he was hurting so I took some tooth numbing and squirted it all around it and gave it a min to kick in, put his butt in some warm water in the sink. I slowly wiggled it free and thankfully it was not appearing to hurt him. About 9 months later he passed another but between those I found one in his potty box. Since then none that he made me aware of. Because of this, I check his rear end at least every three days. Or more if I see him in that famous bunny pose.
He always has gotten crusty in the areas where his testicles were. I have a strong stomach but this is so gross I wear gloves when I clean him up even tho I dont touch it because I use baby wipes. Just blah yucky. When he came up with the stones I researched causes of them and started giving him crasians (not sure I sp that right) to help neutralize his urine. It had always been cloudy but cleared up and is now clear yellow.
But back to whats going on now, still clear and have kept it as clean as possible. He is eating pooping all his normal self. He might be going on 12 but sometimes he does not act like it. His balance is not great at times so his binkys must make him dizzy at times lol

Latest posts

Back