Hi all - any suggestions on finding a skilled dental surgeon?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jeff38002

Reaction score
Hi everyone -
I recently moved just east of Memphis Tennessee and I have 6 bunnies.
2 girls (Daisy and Dottie are litter mates - TAMUKs) and 1 boy (Dozer - a New Zealand) are about 16 months old that I adopted when they were about 8 weeks old.
I also have 3 "babies" (Annie, Amos and Angus from Dozer and Daisy) that are now 10 months old from when Dozer climbed his enclosure and got into the girls enclosure. This was the first time I learned that rabbits can climb pet fences - although Daisy was much younger than she should have been to have a litter (only 5 months old), it turned out to be a pretty wonderful mistake on my part because of how happy they all are together and how wonderful the "babies" are (and yes, they're all neutered... no more happy mistakes - lol).
The original 3 were intended to be used for breeding meat rabbits, but that intention only lasted about 24 hours because I fell in love with the crazy little guys and have completely changed my way of thinking on that. They are now beloved 4-legged family members. They have outdoor access (their choice when weather permits) to a 20'x25' outdoor area of barley, oat and wheat grass in a fully enclosed outdoor patio that has other edible plants/herbs, a large dirt mound with tunnels, some furniture to sit with them, climbing trees/furniture for them and our cats (who get along perfectly) and a small child's plastic swimming pool, that they seem to really enjoy jumping around in and splashing.

I'm hoping some of you would be willing to share some advice / recommendations.
I'm hoping someone might have a suggestion or recommendation for a dental surgeon, preferably within a few hours of Memphis, TN.
My oldest boy Dozer, who is just as sweet as can be, has some elongated molar roots that need to be extracted.
I've been to a few different local vets, but I'm having a very difficult time finding one experienced enough to do the needed surgery. After many hours of online research and comparing to many videos published by veterinarians, hospitals and veterinarian schools (some from as long ago as 13 years back and I assume there's been at least some advancement in the last 13 years for rabbit dental surgery making it safer/easier to do dental extractions) this seems like it should be a fairly uncomplicated procedure for the rightly skilled / experienced surgeon; which is also what the local vets stated, but they aren't experinced in tooth extractions so they each suggested looking elsewhere and asking online at sites like this one.

thank you very much for your time,
Jeff

P.S. I just found this site and I already REALLY like what I've seen so far.

Hi everyone -
I'm hoping someone might have a suggestion or recommendation for a dental surgeon, preferably within a few hours of Memphis, TN.
I have a 16 month old boy that has some elongated molar roots that need to be extracted.
I've been to a few different local vets, but I'm having a very difficult time finding one experienced enough to do the needed surgery. After many hours of online research and comparing to many videos published by veterinarians, hospitals and veterinarian schools (some from as long ago as 13 years back and I assume there's been at least some advancement in the last 13 years for rabbit dental surgery making it safer/easier to do dental extractions) this seems like it should be a fairly uncomplicated procedure for the rightly skilled / experienced surgeon; which is also what the local vets stated, but they aren't experinced in tooth extractions so they each suggested looking elsewhere and asking online at sites like this one.

thanks in advance for any advice,
Jeff

Welcome to the forum! Hopefully someone will be able to offer a recommendation.
I would suggest you put your location in your profile as well.

We love photos, so please feel free to show us your rabbits and their habitat.

Welcome to the forum! Hopefully someone will be able to offer a recommendation.
I would suggest you put your location in your profile as well.

We love photos, so please feel free to show us your rabbits and their habitat.
Thank you!
Excellent suggestion regarding advice on location.
Later tonight/tomorrow I'll fill in the rest of the profile.
I'll sort thru and get some decent pics posted soon.

thanks again

Have you tried the college? If it's too far for you, they may be able to refer you to a good rabbit vet nearer your location. But I would suggest going with the most qualified vet you're able to find and can afford, even if you have to travel a bit to do that, provided your rabbit can safely travel.

https://rabbit.org/2012/01/rabbit-veterinarians-state-listings/#Tennessee
This is a little closer than the college, and they say they do rabbit dental care.

https://www.priestlakevet.com/rabbits.pml
You can also check the other rabbit vet listings in the first link. Though I would suggest thoroughly researching and reading the reviews for each vet clinic you're considering.

https://wabbitwiki.com/wiki/Choosing_a_rabbit_veterinarian

Latest posts

Back