hheellppp

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nylecoj08

Reaction score
It's almost a year sinceI have had my bunny.A few days ago, it has stopped eating its pellets.I searched and searched and most websites say that it's a teeth problem but whenI feed her celery or greens she haves no problem eating it! Also, I noticed she doesn't eat much hay nor drink water. I need advice!! Please if u can help!! This bunny is special to me. If you guys can give me suggestions other then go to see the vet i would gladly try them!!

thanxs :)

Hello...I would try and check the teeth. If the bottom teeth is growing over the top teeth, you would have a problem.Maybe you could try some nutri-cal to boost his immune system and appetite. If he is not drinking water, use a syringe and force it, hewill need to stay hydrated.

I am not sure what else would be the problem, the only other thing i could say is take him to the vet. I am sorry i couldn't help you much more. Keep us posted!

Darlene

When Beau had teeth problems he ate pellets and some greens but no hay...sometimes when they are beginning to go into stasis they will eat what they like the best and leave the rest...it could be the beginning of stasis.

Hi..forgot to ask ..are the pellets the same brand you usually feed him?...also is the hay appealing..if the hay is dry and yellow they won't eat it.

Tooth problems can occur on the molars,too. You'll need to take her to a vet to check those out. Sometimes they can be seen on an x-ray or with a scope while the bunny is awake, but they may need to anesthetize her to get a good look at the back molars.

It could also be GI stasis, or her anorexia could develop into that. Rabbits will often stop eating if they aren't feeling well, and she could have something else wrong with her that is making her feel bad enough to stop eating. A good bunny-savvy vet would be able to find the root of the problem.

For now, try syringe feeding her room-temp or lukewarm water.Be careful to squirt it into her cheek and then allow her to swallow. And get her to a vet.

I hope she feels better soon.

Pipp had molar spurs in the far back set of molars, and she stopped eating hay, carrotsand greens first and only ate pellets.This could still be a dental problem. It couldbe a malocclusion, tooth root or abcess problem or she may even just have something caught in her teeth. Will she eatother hard things like carrots? Any drooling? Runny nose or eyes?

Or her appetite is dropping because of another ailment, and she's only interested in food she considers treats?

Remember that stasis is a symptom not a cause. As Naturestee noted, not eating could cause it. Definitely keep her hydrated, that mightincrease her appetite, although if her hay intake has decreased and her greens intake increased, that will account for her drinkingless water. But keeping her hydrated will help keep her digestive tract flowing.

As previously asked, have you changed pellets?While some people have suggested spraying the pellets or hay with apple juice or something to help make it more enticing, I REALLY wouldn't recommend that unless you're positive there isn't a problem with the feed,because sometimes the bunny knows best and won't eat the pellets because there is hidden toxic mould in them (which is more common than people realize). Best to try a new bag, or better yet, introduce a new brand and see if that makes a difference.

Good luck and keep us posted!

SAS :pray:and PIPP :rose:

Latest posts

Back