Hey what does it mean when a rabbit eats wood?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cdc7267

Reaction score
Hi my little bunny was chewing on his wooden cage and I was just wondering why I think someone said that it was for their teeth to like get them down ya

Rabbits teeth are constantly growing so they need something to chew on to wear down their teeth. Give him sticks, pieces of wood, cardboard. Anything safe that he can chew on.

Yep, already been said but their teeth constantly grow so they need to wear them down. I find bunnies like to chew on their hutches because they can get a secure grip on the wood and it doesn't move, so you could zip tie a piece of wood to the cage so he hopefully chews that instead.

Is he getting plenty of hay, Bandit doesn't seem to chew a great deal, but he is constantly downing quite course hay.

Because they are little grumps who don't appreciate fine craftsmanship. :shame

Felix and Clementine used to eat the heck out of their wooden hutches. It only stopped when I ditched the wood completely and made a NIC condo.

They chew wood for lots of reasons, for the fibre content, to get it out the way/in an attempt to extend their home, or because they are bored and don't have anything else to do.

Latest posts

Back