Here's a tough one

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DyemondRabbitry

Reaction score
Ok guys, here's a tough one that I'm just stumped with.

I have a doe at home.. she's 7 months old, Black New Zealand. Well, she'd been doing REALLY well on the show table and she's just got awesome type. OK. Check her out about a week ago and.. her doe parts no longer look like doe parts when you push backwards to reveal it.

1. There are no testicles or sacs where testicles may be

2. It LOOKs like a doe until you splay it apart

3. When you push back, you get a protrusion.. not a penis.. but almost triangular and much larger than one...

4. No pus, no sores around the face or eyes.

If I need to I'll post pictures later.. any help is really appreciated. Could it be a partially prolapsed uterus? She's never been bred though....

A photo will be a big help in - it sounds like you might just be describing a doe with anodd shaped labia. I have seen some that have an atypical appearance.

Pam

Genital ambiguity can be caused by chromosomal abnormalities where the rabbit is intersexual (has characteristics of both sexes).

Pam

How would this not show up until so late though? I did have a Satin that was.. well.. very strange. Took three judges to decide what it was. It was a "doe" with testicles.. which at about 8 months got its um.. other boy part.

Now I definately need to go home and get a picture

In most cases, the "does" with testicles that I see are split penis bucks. Their genitalia can appear identical to that of a doe when they are young.

Pam

Ok- here are some pictures.

bunnies6-17005.jpg

bunnies6-17004.jpg

bunnies6-17003.jpg

bunnies6-17006.jpg

bunnies6-17007.jpg

Can you extend the protrusion back so the underside can be viewed? Is there scabbing around the rectum?

I don't think it's a partially prolapsed uterus.

Pam

It could be tissue growth as a result of vent disease, papilloma, or fibroid tumor. What appeared to be scabbing around the genitals was making me suspect vent disease. You might want to have a vet check it out just to find out what it is and to rule out vent disease.

I can't really tell from the second photos if it is possible that it's a split penis buck.

Pam

Thank you. Pam, your help is greatly appreciated- you teach me more and more from these posts. I know you use a lot of stuff you find to help 4-Hers and wanted you to know that if you ever need examples or if I ever post something you'd like to use you can go ahead. We always appreciate your opinion, your knowledge, and your judging.

Thanks Everybody.

Thank you.

I wish that I could have been of more help, but I'm really not sure what it is. A vet might be able to tell you more.

Pam

I'm not totally sure what I'm going to do with her right now. We don't have any rabbit savy vets around here.. the only one has a suspended license at the moment for allowing local farmers to vaccinate their dogs against rabis. Stupid, I know. In any sense of the term she will be culled. I do have a friend who is a vet tech who may take her but really she's a bit too old to become a house bunny and she's starting to lose condition. I noticed a while back that she stopped eating her cecals... so.. It just does not look good for her. Last time I took a rabbit to a vet here I forget what he perscribed but it ended up being lethal to rabbits (little did I know at that time).

Latest posts

Back