herbs

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pumpkinbumpkin

Reaction score
how much and how often can rabbits be fed mint? are the stems safe too or just the leaves?

i know there isnt really a "limit" to how much/often cilantro and basil they can have. is that the same with all herbs (other than parsley)?

Herbs, including mint, cilantro, and basil, can by given generously -- once each one has been properly (slowly) and safely introduced. This is true for most leafy greens. Once a rabbit has been safely introduced to greens, they can have 2-4 cups per day. Stems and leaves are fine.

https://rabbitsindoors.weebly.com/greens--veggies.html
1660674226787.jpeg
Here's one of my past gals with a bunch of basil picked fresh from the herb garden.

Last edited:
View attachment 62065
Here's one of my past gals with a bunch of basil picked fresh from the herb garden.

That's interesting. I tried basil with my rabbit. He took one whiff and hopped away and started cleaning his face off. Tried again, same thing. Chickens wouldn't touch it either :p

2-4 cups of greens as limit? I would say this is a nice amount as a supplement and to make their diet more diverse, but greens can be an unlimited staple food if your resources allow that. Greens are almost all my rabbits get whenever available, way more than they can eat. It's mostly weeds and grasses, they can pick what they want (prefer the leafy stuff).
When just feeding herbs, or low fiber stuff like salads, carrot tops or other stuff grown for human consumption that 2-4 cups make sense though to keep them eat hay for the roughage they need.

I wish I had basil in my garden, but they love the parsley and like the chives.

2-4 cups of greens as limit? I would say this is a nice amount as a supplement and to make their diet more diverse, but greens can be an unlimited staple food if your resources allow that. Greens are almost all my rabbits get whenever available, way more than they can eat. It's mostly weeds and grasses, they can pick what they want (prefer the leafy stuff).
When just feeding herbs, or low fiber stuff like salads, carrot tops or other stuff grown for human consumption that 2-4 cups make sense though to keep them eat hay for the roughage they need.

I wish I had basil in my garden, but they love the parsley and like the chives.
I completely agree. Rabbits grow a TON when they have lots of space, fresh air and sunshine, and all of the grass and greens that they can eat. We have 2 identical bunnies that are 4 months old. well, one got out and had eluded us. We finally caught it 2 months later. it weighed 3+ pounds compared to the one that had a diet of pellets and hay, and not a ton of space. Just thought I would share this story.

I completely agree.
Yes. I'm referring to indoor rabbits that are being fed store-bought or garden-grown greens -- not outdoor rabbits that are able to munch on fresh grass, etc.

That's interesting. I tried basil with my rabbit. He took one whiff and hopped away and started cleaning his face off. Tried again, same thing. Chickens wouldn't touch it either :p
Pumpkin will eat basil but if she gets it for too many days in a row she throws it off the plate and refuses to eat it 😂 The only thing she gets excited to eat is her cilantro haha

Latest posts

Back