Helping Surviving Rabbit Cope with Partner Death

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Magpie689

Reaction score
So, last I posted, I had plans to bond my 5 rabbits; Peanut, Steve, Boo, Marley, and Primrose. Primrose fell in love with my cousin and is now living with her after a big fight between Boo and Primrose. The fight was not the reason for rehoming; my cousin fell head over heels for Primrose and I thought it would be a better home with my cousin than with 4 other buns. So Primrose has a new home. Unfortunately, Peanut contracted E.cuniculi from Primrose. I noticed head tilt one morning and within a week she was rolling and unable to stand. Peanut crossed the rainbow bridge yesterday after a rough, week long fight with symptoms. She was being treated but the medication was having no effect on her. She will be missed very much.

My point, though, is that I just read that I should've let Steve (Peanut's partner) spend some time with her body so he knows that she's gone. I didn't know to do that and I can't get her body back as it's already been sent for cremation. My question is, how do I help Steve cope with the loss of his partner? Is there anything I can do to make this time easier for him? Should I continue with my bonding plans so he won't be lonely? How much time do I give him to grieve before I start bonding?

I appreciate any help. Thank you.

It depends how he's acting now. Some rabbits don't have as much of a problem and are able to move right on. Others can have a very depressed state after losing a bun companion. So you'll want to monitor your buns eating, pooping, and activity. If he has a reduced appetite and is more lethargic than he normally would be, then he is likely having difficulty with his companion being gone.

Latest posts

Back