Helping bunny grieve

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jennifer Zednicek

Reaction score
Hello All,

I just recently lost my first bunny - heartbreaking I know. But I don't know what's more heartbreaking - his passing, or his mate running around looking for him. Unfortunately he passed at the vet and I was no able to bring the body back for her to see. I've read a lot about bonded bunny grieving and they say to let the living bunny have time with the deceased. I did not get to have that opportunity and now I'm at a loss on how to care for my grieving bunny. She is still eating and drinking and had a check up at the vet to make sure she was good, but I can tell she's sad and I'm not sure what I can do for her to help her transition. I do have a third bunny that she has never taken to and they do not share a cage - nor do I want to force them to bond during her time of grief. Does anyone have any tips or suggestions on how I can help my bunny grieve the loss of her mate and still keep her healthy?

Any tips are appreciated!

Thank you for the advice. I’m trying to keep the same routine as best as possible but as soon as she realizes her mate isn’t around she will stop eating. I’m worried but hoping within a day or two she’ll come back around

Latest posts

Back