Help!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sumashollands

Reaction score
So I had my rabbits in exercise pens outside today, and (I’m not sure how it happened) but when I went back a few minutes later, my doe was relaxing outside her pen, and the bucks were a little bit away fighting! My buck, and my younger siblings pet one! So this doe has a litter of 6 kits, two weeks old, and I HOPE she has not gotten bred by one of these bucks, but I have no proof. What should I do?? Or think? No bunnies were hurt as they had obviously just gotten out.

If she was breed again, it will be okay. The other kits will be old enough to be weaned when the new kits comes.

But if you don’t want to have any kits then you only have spaying. Next time keep an eye on your girl so she don’t escape again ☺️

On a side note, if rabbits are ever outside in an exercise pen, there must be someone sitting right there beside the pen at all times. (Consider it like the idea that one never walks away from a baby in a bathtub--- not for 1 second.) It only takes a couple seconds for a bird of prey to swoop down and snatch a rabbit. The presence of a person is the best defense against that.

Can't stress enough that one must always be immediately next to an outdoor exercise pen. Otherwise build a secure run with a roof.

If she's got pregnant again it is not good for her. She is still nursing so needs to produce milk, and same time she will be building new bodies inside of her tummy, so basically new kits can be born deformed and also she can get sick. Even commercial breeders allow at least one month to recover, after babies are 8 weeks and she's not nursing she needs at least one month to recover before they breed again. That's also too often in my opinion.

So I would recommend to talk to your parents and explain situation and take her to vets for examination, if it shows that she has fetuses in her it s possible to remove them together with uteruses that would be an emergency spay.

As far as I remember we had a few cases when nursing rabbits get pregnant again, it's not funny at all. Your girl can get very sick and kits can be born dead or without limbs.

Here's some example of irresponsible breeding

>>https://www.rabbitsonline.net/threads/my-does-is-still-pulling-fur-after-birth-why.98474/

>>https://www.rabbitsonline.net/threads/i-need-help-with-my-doe.98451/#post-1144808

Ok, thanks for the advice. No I did not plan on breeding her for a while. Although maybe she isn’t pregnant, like would two male rabbits fight before one of them would mate? And no, I do not think it’s funny at all. I am assuming that she got out while they were fighting, or she got out, then the other male did, and found the pet buck, who was out. I admit it was probably my fault as I had left for a few minutes, or did not latch the cage properly. I will try not to let that happen again.

Last edited:
Turns out everything is ok, since it’s been over a month. 😉 I must have overreacted. Yay for my buck who saved her. If he hadn’t fought the other one, the other one probably would’ve bred her.

Latest posts

Back