HELP!!!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Leema

Reaction score
hiya, my rabbit Babushka doesn't seem like himself. Usually, when I wake up in the morning I feed my rabbits (I have 3) and let them out of the hutch to play in the garden. Today, Babushka didn't want to leave the hutch and seemed really sad. First, I thought maybe he was hurt by the other rabbit, but he seemed lethargic and refused to eat when I try to feed him. when I tried to put the food in his mouth he spat it out or pushed it away. Later on, when I placed him on the grass, he seemed to be playing normally and running around. However, a little later on , when I placed him back in the hutch - he seemed really tired and didn't fight when I picked him up (he usually does ), but he seemed calm and overly attached to me . I checked his bottom and he had loose poo stuck on his bottom (looked like diarrhoea) - i tried to clean it and placed him back in the hutch where I gave him water , thankfully he drank some, but he still isn't eating his food. Could someone help me please , thank you!!

How does his stomach feel, maybe he’s gut have stopped working or slowed down. Causing pain for him.

Does his stomach feel hard and round, can you hear any sound from the stomach?

Do he seem uncomfortable and move around not finding a good position to lay in?

But you need to force feed him critical care, he need to get food in the system and water. If you can, you should take him to the vet. It can go fast when a rabbit dosen’t eat any food to them dying.

Hopes everything goes well.

there was no noise coming from his stomach - and his stomach felt soft.
he seemed comfortable when he was lying down -
I have left him food in his hutch and his favourite foods - he was drinking water okay.
I will be trying to take him to the vet tomorrow -
yesterday he was fine, even in the night, it just started today

I just checked up on him, and fed him hay and gave him water - he was eating it thankfully .

I just checked up on him, and fed him hay and gave him water - he was eating it thankfully .
Take the pellets away for a day or two. The only time mine have softer stool is when they have had too many pellets and not enough hay. They do not act lethargic though. Their poops are still like round poops, just soft (not cecals). Critical care is like magic but unless you are used to this “issue” with him and know what is going on, force feeding him is not a good idea. He could have a blockage or something.
If his poo is liquid-Ish, he needs to be seen. These guys are not like cats and dogs and they mask pain very well. Just because you noticed this today doesn’t mean he has not had something going on for several days.
I would not wait to get him to the vet. They go downhill in a matter of hours and waiting until tomorrow could mean life or death for him.

Okay, maybe he get pain when he eat pellets. Sometimes when bunnies select what food to eat is it often some teeth growing wrong which cause pain when they eat.

Chewing pellets and hay have different chewing movement. So at the vet they should check the teeth on him.

But as long he’s eating hay and drinks water. Don’t stress a lot, eating a lot of hay will get his stomach to become stable and get normal droppings.

If he ate something yummy yesterday, it can caused his stomach to mess up —> wet waste and not that prone to eat the pellets.

I know that my indoor bunny will ignore apple and pellets if he have managed to eat something yummy before. His stomach will often mess up but a strict hay diet and he’s back to normal after a day. Maybe your bunny managed to eat something he was not supposed to do or ate too much.

It’s good taking him to the vet, if you don’t know the cause of the behavior change.

Okay, maybe he get pain when he eat pellets. Sometimes when bunnies select what food to eat is it often some teeth growing wrong which cause pain when they eat.

Chewing pellets and hay have different chewing movement. So at the vet they should check the teeth on him.

But as long he’s eating hay and drinks water. Don’t stress a lot, eating a lot of hay will get his stomach to become stable and get normal droppings.
Agreed! Hay is great for them and if he is eating hay and drinking, that is a great sign! Just keep an eye on the poops and lethargy.

Take the pellets away for a day or two. The only time mine have softer stool is when they have had too many pellets and not enough hay. They do not act lethargic though. Their poops are still like round poops, just soft (not cecals). Critical care is like magic but unless you are used to this “issue” with him and know what is going on, force feeding him is not a good idea. He could have a blockage or something.
If his poo is liquid-Ish, he needs to be seen. These guys are not like cats and dogs and they mask pain very well. Just because you noticed this today doesn’t mean he has not had something going on for several days.
I would not wait to get him to the vet. They go downhill in a matter of hours and waiting until tomorrow could mean life or death for him.

His poo seemed to look normal, but it was just his bum that looked like that. There are no vets open near me . I keep a close eye on all the rabbits, like when I give them food, I watch them eat for a good few minutes. It was only till this morning where he didnt want to go outside and play.

If he ate something yummy yesterday, it can caused his stomach to mess up —> wet waste and not that prone to eat the pellets.

I know that my indoor bunny will ignore apple and pellets if he have managed to eat something yummy before. His stomach will often mess up but a strict hay diet and he’s back to normal after a day. Maybe your bunny managed to eat something he was not supposed to do or ate too much.

It’s good taking him to the vet, if you don’t know the cause of the behavior change.
I'e been giving him these pellets since I've bought him which the seller gave it and they seemed to really like it. I did try and switch when the packet finished, but none of the rabbits ate it so I didnt think they liked it so I went back to the usual one. They dont eat carrots and I've never gave them lettuce because of the risk of diohoerrea. We haven't changed the hay, we usually get the asda one and the Timothy hay

I'e been giving him these pellets since I've bought him which the seller gave it and they seemed to really like it. I did try and switch when the packet finished, but none of the rabbits ate it so I didnt think they liked it so I went back to the usual one. They dont eat carrots and I've never gave them lettuce because of the risk of diohoerrea. We haven't changed the hay, we usually get the asda one and the Timothy hay
Iceberg Lettuce- no, Romaine yes. I have 5 of all sizes and shapes (3 Angora, 1 Rex, 1 dwarf Lionhead). They all get a large salad every evening that includes romaine lettuce, collard leaves, cilantro, Italian parsley, regular parsley, dandelion leaves and a few carrot chips. I have never had one with diarrhea from the greens. They have 1 large salad a day instead of 2 smaller ones. Although they get both types of parsley and carrot chips daily, it’s less in quantity than the romaine, collards, cilantro and dandelion leaves. They get pellets in the morning and have Timothy hay 24/7/365. Small amounts of banana 2 times a week. Treats are papaya cubes, dried organic apple pieces and very little else. They also get toys like willow balls and branches and stuff like that. Out of the 5, only 2 get softer poops from the pellets from time to time. I just put a small amount of oats in their pellets and it’s no longer soft in a day or two. It rarely happens.
Greens have never been a bad thing for any of them. Bunnies are supposed to have greens daily....

I
Iceberg Lettuce- no, Romaine yes. I have 5 of all sizes and shapes (3 Angora, 1 Rex, 1 dwarf Lionhead). They all get a large salad every evening that includes romaine lettuce, collard leaves, cilantro, Italian parsley, regular parsley, dandelion leaves and a few carrot chips. I have never had one with diarrhea from the greens. They have 1 large salad a day instead of 2 smaller ones. Although they get both types of parsley and carrot chips daily, it’s less in quantity than the romaine, collards, cilantro and dandelion leaves. They get pellets in the morning and have Timothy hay 24/7/365. Small amounts of banana 2 times a week. Treats are papaya cubes, dried organic apple pieces and very little else. They also get toys like willow balls and branches and stuff like that. Out of the 5, only 2 get softer poops from the pellets from time to time. I just put a small amount of oats in their pellets and it’s no longer soft in a day or two. It rarely happens.
Greens have never been a bad thing for any of them. Bunnies are supposed to have greens daily....
Okay that's good to know. I have refrained from giving lettuce due to my rabbit that I had when I was little suffered from diarrhoea. Will be getting some greens for them now

I

Okay that's good to know. I have refrained from giving lettuce due to my rabbit that I had when I was little suffered from diarrhoea. Will be getting some greens for them now
Just introduce one green at a time in small amounts for a few days to see how your bunny responds. Then try another by itself. Ramp it up slowly and you should be good! Just remember no iceberg lettuce! Lol....

Just introduce one green at a time in small amounts for a few days to see how your bunny responds. Then try another by itself. Ramp it up slowly and you should be good! Just remember no iceberg lettuce! Lol....
Ok, thank you

Latest posts

Back