Help

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Misscherry15

Reaction score
I have 2 bucks who have been together for a few months now.

Ive had to deperate them yesterday as i noticed my younger buck was injured. :( :(
He has cuts to his back, face and ears. And one ear has an actual split in it
:(

I feel like a failed bunny mummy.

Has anyone ever gone through this before? X

This was them cuddled up and resting only the other day x

Attachments

• 20180405_180055.jpg
    20180405_180055.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 10
I have experienced this with my males... they seem to fight when your not watching... make sure to check the cuts and see that they are not infected...

How old are they, if they are bonded at a young age hormones can completely change them and break the bond, then you have to rebond them after. Maybe one of them has dominated a spot so if you’re attempting to bond them again, try to do it in neutral territory

I just recently had to move one of my males into my room to heal. Got some nasty wounds on his butt. Even though they seemed to have been bonded, hormones are abound and they will fight for dominance. The dominant one will sometimes eventually kill the other one, especially if there are females around even if those are spayed. Chances are you'll have to permanently separate them, but you could always make it so they can see but not touch each other.

Yup. As others have stated, it sounds like hormones. I take it neither are neutered?

Baby 'bonds' aren't true bonds for this very reason. Males that remain intact are unlikely to remain bonded. As Bribble stated, rabbit fights can be deadly. Best to separate them for now. If you want them to bond, have them both neutered then wait 6-8 weeks after neuter for hormones to dissipate before bonding them. The bonding process would be starting from the beginning (as if they never met).

You'll need neutral territory (where neither has ever been before) to do the bonding. Read up on bonding before beginning.

I have also experienced this and had to learn the hard way.
We took home two 8 week old Continental Giant male rabbits. They lived together for about a year, during which we got them neutered. After this period they suddenly and very randomly started fighting. We tried seperating and re-bonding them multiple times but eventually had to give up, as we did not want one to get injured and they were showing no signs of improvement. Just days before they were cuddling and grooming each other as normal and then suddenly that happened. We had to find one of my bucks a new home and bonded a female to the buck we kept. The lovely person who took on our other rabbit also managed to bond him to a female very easily. 3 years later and both new pairs are still happily bonded.
As others have stated you will most likely have to keep them permanently separated but I wish you the best of luck!

Latest posts

Back